Titoli di Stato area Euro GRECIA Operativo titoli di stato - Cap. 1 (2 lettori)

Stato
Chiusa ad ulteriori risposte.

tommy271

Forumer storico
Merkel, Ackermann Feud Over Managing Sovereign Debt Crisis

(...)

Ackermann, 62, and Merkel, 56, who have called for solidarity to protect the euro, each have a lot at stake. Deutsche Bank has more than 10 billion euros of government debt in Portugal, Ireland, Italy, Greece and Spain. Merkel is trying to minimize the cost of a rescue to German taxpayers before elections this year in at least seven of the country’s 16 states. While the two agree on the need to salvage Europe’s political union and common currency, they disagree on the means of doing so.
Merkel demanded more concessions from Greece last year before agreeing to provide financial aid, while Ackermann pushed for quicker action to stem the crisis. Merkel also called for sovereign-bond investors, including German banks, to shoulder the costs of future national bailouts. That didn’t sit well with Ackermann, who blamed the chancellor for roiling markets and raising borrowing costs, criticisms echoed by the European Central Bank and governments in Ireland and Spain.
“The whole discussion is unfortunate because the signal was received by the markets in a very negative way and now we have this turbulence,” Ackermann said at an event in Berlin on Nov. 25, as the cost of insuring debt for Spain, Italy, Portugal and Ireland approached record levels.

Meeting in Athens
Differences over crisis management surfaced last February after Ackermann met in Athens with Greece’s Prime Minister, George Papandreou, as the premier tried to stem growing market skepticism about his country’s ability to avoid default. Swiss- born Ackermann, who has led Deutsche Bank since 2002, returned to Germany with a proposal aimed at stopping the sovereign-debt crisis in its tracks: a 30 billion-euro rescue package for Greece to be split evenly between governments and private-sector banks, according to a person familiar with the talks.
Jens Weidmann, Merkel’s chief economic adviser, rejected the idea, citing legal concerns, said the person, who declined to be identified because the talks were confidential. The German chancellor was criticized at home and abroad for refusing to rush to aid Greece before domestic regional elections. She reversed course after it became too costly for the Greek government to borrow in financial markets and German lawmakers on May 7 backed a 110 billion-euro lifeline.

(...)

L'interessante resoconto completo:
Merkel, Ackermann Feud Over Managing Sovereign Debt Crisis - Bloomberg

Ultima modifica:

tommy271

Forumer storico
IMF: Greece To Continue With Sizable Consolidation

International Monetary Fund said in a statement that Greece’s progress in implementing its consolidation plan has been significant.

The Fund said on Thursday that Greece (Ireland and Portugal) will continue with sizable frontloaded consolidation. “These efforts should translate into large improvements of both the headline and cyclically adjusted balances, reflecting mainly expenditure cuts”, according to IMF’s Fiscal Monitor. Further reduction of deficit is expected in 2012.

Regarding revenue, Greece has to implement various measures to speed up tax arrears and tax penalty collection, measures against fuel smuggling, improved collection efficiency, renewal of Telecom licenses and extension of airport concessions.

Expenditure programme includes wage cuts and tariff increases in public enterprises, cost savings and increases in co-pay for hospitals and means-testing of family benefits. Additionally, reductions are expected regarding transfers and operational expenditures, short-term contracts in the public sector, military deliveries.

(capital.gr)

tommy271

Forumer storico
DAVOS-French EconMin: Using EFSF to buy bonds "one option"

DAVOS, Switzerland | Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:34am EST

DAVOS, Switzerland Jan 28 (Reuters) - Using the euro zone's rescue fund to buy sovereign bonds is an idea worth looking at as part of steps to make the facility more flexible, French Economy Minister Christine Lagarde said on Friday.

Euro zone leaders are discussing ways to boost the European Financial Stability Facility to show it has enough firepower to support states struggling with their borrowings, hoping this will ease the region's debt crisis.

Asked if the fund should be able to lend to countries to allow them to buy their own sovereign bonds, Lagarde told Reuters Insider: "We clearly should be open to whatever is convenient, whatever is efficient. Buying bonds is one option. We should look at it. We should weigh the pros and cons and decide what is most efficient."

Earlier, Greek Finance Minister George Papaconstantinou told Insider that allowing his country to buy back government bonds at a discount on the market was being discussed but would require funding.

Asked about that idea, Lagarde said: "(I) haven't explored the pros and cons of that particular option but I think at the moment my colleague and friend George is focusing on delivering on the conditionalities that were asked from Greece to benefit from the support package."

Turning to inflation risks, she said policymakers should be concerned about inflation resulting from rising commodity prices: "We'd better watch out."

tommy271

Forumer storico
In mattinata la Borsa di Atene continua a salire, indice ASE intorno a 1587 punti con + 1,10.
I nostri spread sono tendenzialmente in allargamento, ora intorno a 845 punti base.

tommy271

Forumer storico
Zona euro, usare Efsf per acquistare bond è un'opzione - Lagarde

venerdì 28 gennaio 2011 11:09

DAVOS, 28 gennaio (Reuters) - Utilizzare il fondo di salvataggio della zona euro per acquistare bond sovrani è un'idea degna di essere considerata come parte degli accorgimenti per rendere lo strumento più flessibile.
Lo ha dichiarato il ministro delle Finanze francese Christine Lagarde intervenendo stamane da Davos.
I leader dei paesi dell'euro stanno discutendo diverse modalità per rafforzare il fondo di salvataggio, denominato European Financial Stability Facility, per mostrare di avere abbastanza risorse per sostenere i paesi in crisi di liquidità, sperando così di allentare la crisi del debito.
Rispondendo a una domanda sulla possibilità che il fondo presti ai paesi per permettere loro di riacquistare i propri bond sovrani, Lagarde ha dichiarato a Reuters Insider: "dobbiamo chiaramente essere aperti a tutto ciò che è opportuno, tutto ciò che è efficiente. Acquistare titoli è un'opzione, dobbiamo prenderla in considerazione. Dobbiamo soppesare pro e contro e decidere ciò che è più efficiente".
In precedenza, il ministro delle Finanze greco, George Papaconstantinou, aveva dichiarato a Insider che si sta discutendo della possibilità che Atene riacquisti i propri titoli a sconto sul mercato, ma ha aggiunto che questa misura richiederebbe disponibilità di fondi.
A una domanda su questa proposta, Largarde ha detto "Non ho esplorato i pro e i contro di questa particolare opzione, ma penso che al momento il mio collega e amico George si focalizzi sul raggiungimento delle condizioni richieste alla Gracia per utilizzare il pacchetto di salvataggio".
Parlando dei rischi di inflazione, Lagarde ha detto che le autorità dovrebbero essere preoccupate dell'inflazione in arrivo dal rialzo dei prezzi delle materie prime. "E' meglio che stiamo all'erta".

In Italiano ...

tommy271

Forumer storico
Cina continua a sostenere Europa in crisi debito - premier

venerdì 28 gennaio 2011 11:19

PECHINO, 28 gennaio (Reuters) - La Cina continuerà a sostenere l'Europa nel suo sforzo di far fronte alla crisi del debito sovrano, attraverso misure reali. Lo ha detto il premier cinese Wen Jiabao al Cancelliere tedesco Angela Merkel in una telefonata tra i due leader venerdì, secondo quanto riporta l'agenzia di stampa Xinhua.
Wen ha detto inoltre di sostenere il ruolo di primo piano svolto dalla Germania nell'affrontare la crisi, mentre Merkel ha risposto che l'Europa risolverà la crisi con le proprie forze.

tommy271

Forumer storico
German Temper Tantrums Reduce Risk of Euro Breakup: Davos Diary

By Mark Gilbert - Jan 28, 2011 11:18 AM GMT+0100

Fri Jan 28 10:18:53 GMT 2011
Greece and Ireland will default and at least one nation will abandon the euro by 2016, according to the majority of respondents in a Bloomberg Global Poll this week. I would have agreed last year; now, German anger is starting to persuade me my money might be safe in Greek debt.

When people get mad, it’s typically due to fear. Working out what’s scaring someone explains tantrums. German participants at the World Economic Forum meeting in Davos, Switzerland, are getting grumpier by the day, and I reckon I know why: They’ve realized they have to shift from doing the bare minimum to bankroll their near-bankrupt euro neighbors to spending whatever it takes. And they’re afraid of telling their taxpayers.

Germany is getting boxed into a corner. Somehow, the ideas that the bailout-funding European Financial Stability Facility needs to be much bigger, that it should buy government debt, and that the interest rates charged on aid need slashing, have all dodged Frankfurt opposition and moved to the top of the bond market’s agenda. If the European Union -- meaning Germany -- fails to increase the EFSF’s firepower now, investors will trash peripheral debt.

Many of the Davos meetings are off-the-record, meaning that pesky journalists aren’t allowed to report what they hear. So I can’t identify the German official who looked at the Greek official at a gathering of delegates and said, you need to introduce more parts of your economy to the concept of taxation, and you need to do more to cut your debts even if there are riots on the streets of Athens.

Exploiting the Lull

And I can’t name the Greek official who said, Germany only has a trade surplus because countries like us are buying its goods, and if you don’t convince the bond market soon that we’re all in this together, the lull that the European Central Bank has created by buying bonds will end, and it won’t end well.

And I can’t tell you which eastern European minister said, the interest rate Ireland is paying for its aid is madness, and that donor countries should put as much money as needed into the rescue fund because it will still be cheaper than bailing out their domestic banks if a euro nation defaults.

The Greek official is correct when he says time is short. The ECB has created a lacuna by putting a floor under government bond prices. The window of opportunity to convince fund managers that the political will to safeguard the euro is to be matched by funds sufficient to repel attacks, however, is temporary. The moment of truth for the euro debt crisis has arrived.

Hanging Tough

Germany is still pretending to play hardball. Economy Minister Rainer Bruederle says European leaders need to concentrate on long-term debt mitigation mechanisms before arguing about making more bailout money available. “One should only offer liquidity aid when that changes,” Bruederle told Bloomberg reporter Aaron Kirchfeld in Davos yesterday.

The political will is certainly there, including for Bruederle’s boss, Angela Merkel. “Be it Chancellor Merkel or myself, never -- and listen to me carefully, here --never will we turn our backs on the euro,” French President Nicolas Sarkozy told a Davos audience yesterday. “We will never drop the euro or abandon the euro.”

Sarkozy must know that he needs to put Germany’s money where his mouth is. The angrier German officials get, the more convinced I am that they’ll foot the bill to ensure bondholders get repaid in full and on time.

Rumors da Bloomberg ...

tommy271

Forumer storico
Germany Will Do Everything Needed To Save The Euro: Govt Spox

BERLIN (MNI) - Germany will do what is necessary to defend the single European currency in the current sovereign debt crisis, a government spokesman said Friday.

"Everything which is necessary for the euro will be done," spokesman Christoph Steegmans said at a regular government press conference here.

The German government supports the strong commitment of French President Nicolas Sarkozy for the euro, he said.

On Thursday, Sarkozy launched an impassioned defense of the euro, declaring that the Eurozone's two largest members will never let it fail and that even considering such an idea is out of the question.

Addressing the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, Sarkozy declared that "[Germany's Chancellor] Angela Merkel and I will never, never let the euro fall."

The German government spokesman declined to comment on remarks by Greek Finance Minister George Papaconstantinou, who reportedly said Friday that the idea of buying back the country's government bonds below par deserved some discussion.

German Finance Ministry spokesman Martin Kreienbaum said, "I haven't read or heard any comments that the European Financial Stability Facility should participate in any form" in buying back Greek debt.

Kreienbaum repeated that Germany is of the opinion that Greece is proceeding "very well" on its path to overcoming its debt problems.

(imarketnews.com)

Stato
Chiusa ad ulteriori risposte.

Users who are viewing this thread

Alto