Derivati USA: CME-CBOT-NYMEX-ICE Tbond,Tnote,Bund&CO-giu/lug2006: fuga dai Bonds (vm18) (2 lettori)

gipa69

collegio dei patafisici
Investment Strategy
by Jeffrey Saut
“Listening to good news”
“The actual private object of most skilled investment today is to ‘beat the gun.’ As Americans so well express it, to outwit the crowd and to pass the bad, or depreciating halfcrown, to the other. For it is, so to speak, a game of Snap, of Old Maid, of Musical Chairs – a pastime in which he is the victor who plays ‘snap’ neither too soon nor too late, who passes the old maid to his neighbor before the game is over, who secures a chair for himself when the music stops. Or to change the metaphor slightly, professional investment may be likened to those newspaper competitors in which the competitors have to pick out the six prettiest faces from a hundred photographs, the prize being awarded to the competitor whose choice most nearly corresponds to the average preferences of the competitors, as a whole; so that each competitor has to pick not those faces which he himself finds prettiest, but those which he thinks likeliest to catch the fancy of the other competitors, all of whom are looking at the problem from the same point of view. We have reached the third degree where we devote our intelligences to anticipating what the average opinion expects the average opinion to be. And there are some, I believe, who practice the fourth, fifth and higher degrees.”

“The General Theory of Employment, Interest, and Money,” John Maynard Keynes, 1935

Shakes off bad news and listens to good news! And, that was how last Friday’s markets began as participants interpreted Friday’s “backward-looking” GDP report as good news and not bad news. Why a slowing economy (GDP +2.5%), accompanied by an inflationary 4% jump in Prices Paid and a PCE of +2.9%, is “good news” is a mystery to us, but there you have it. Clearly the mantra of “one and done” drove Wall Street’s emotions as once again folks anticipated a cessation in the Fed’s rate hikes, but we have heard that cry repeatedly ever since Richard “eighth inning” Fisher stated that the Fed’s rate-ratchets were in the “eighth inning” some 14 months ago. I guess some of Friday’s euphoria can also be attributed to the Bush/Blair press conference where “peace in our lifetime” reigned. However, Friday was the second such “peace rally” of the past two weeks as memories are short on the “Street of Dreams” with participants forgetting that the previous week’s Condi Rice peace-rally (+213 DJIA) proved to be a false start. Yet Friday’s economic figures smacked of “stagflation” to us and stagflation has historically not been a particularly pleasant environment for stocks. Nevertheless, Friday’s “cry” was, “the FED is nearly done so BUY stocks;” and the rest, as they say, was history. Still, the difference between perception and reality is where investors’ opportunities lie and history shows that the final rate-rise has typically been followed by an equity market sell-off.

Nevertheless, in this business what you see is what you get and Friday’s Fling left the S&P 500 (SPX/1278.55) challenging its early-July reaction high of 1280. We had suggested this might be the case and noted that if 1280 was surpassed it would likely bring into view a full upside-retest of the 1290 – 1298 level. As we said on CNBC, on June 13th, “we think a trading-low is at hand, hopefully within a bottoming sequence.” That sequence typically consists of a trading low followed by a throwback rally and then a subsequent retest of the trading lows. We were buyers of stocks/indexes on June 13th and 14th and subsequently sold those trading positions into the early-July throwback-rally highs. Unfortunately, we were NOT buyers of trading positions into the mid-July downside retest of the June lows since our proprietary indicators were not nearly as oversold as they were at the June bottom.

That said, we did recommend adding to positions in the investment account with particular emphasis on energy. That view was reinforced by our visit last week to Alberta, Canada, where activity in oil sand projects remains amazing. Bear in mind that most of the oil exporting nations hate America. Therefore, investments in politically secure, oil exporting countries like Canada make sense to us. Manifestly, for the past three years our favorite energy stock has been Outperform-rated, 3.3% yielding Canadian Oil Sands Trust (COSWF/$31.95), which owns 35% of the Tar Sands’ Syncrude project. Interestingly, COSWF rallied nearly 11% last week versus the Oil Index’s (XOI/1194.67) 2.7% gain. Our analysts think the dividend distribution on these shares will continue to be increased over the next few years and that the Athabasca Oil Sands’ stocks remain an excellent investment theme. Another Canadian name we have been using for awhile is Strong Buy-rated, 7.8% yielding Trinidad Energy Services Income Trust (TDGNF/$15.87), which is a growth-oriented income trust that trades on the TSX under the symbol TDG.UN. Trinidad owns roughly 100 oil drilling rigs and its drilling fleet is one of the most adaptable and competitive in the industry. Hereto our analysts expect the dividend distribution to increase over the next few years. Both of these companies are followed by our Canadian energy team and as always “Blue Sky” laws should be checked by U.S. investors.

While the Canadian energy complex has done pretty well recently, many of the U.S. energy stocks have not fared nearly as well, including some of the Strong Buy-rated names from Raymond James’ universe of energy stocks we recommended a few weeks ago. This is surprising given crude oil’s perkiness, natural gas’ move back above $7.00/mcf, and a $5.00 per megawatt hour leap in U.S. spark spreads. Obviously, natural gas, as well as the spark spread, was driven by the country’s unseasonably hot weather. We remain convinced that natural gas has bottomed and consequently continue to favor the strategy of scale-buying fundamentally sound companies in this complex. For ideas, see the nearby chart that shows the companies that are the best allocators of capital as defined by production growth per debt adjusted share.

Click to enlarge

As for the “spark spread,” clearly last week helped our long position in the only publicly traded electric transmission grid company we know of, namely 3.3% yielding ITC Holdings (ITC/$31.40), which is rated Overweight by our research correspondent Lehman Brothers.

Other “measured risk” investments for your consideration are Schering-Plough’s 5.6%-yielding convertible preferred (SGP+M/$53.40) and Marshall & IIsley’s 6% yielding convertible preferred (MI +B/$27.18). While everyone knows what Schering-Plough does, Marshall & IIsley is not so well known. MI is a mid-capitalization bank that owns a large, fast-growing, processing business. The company’s P/E ratio is in-line with its peers, but it has a more attractive investor base, is less interest rate sensitive because its business is primarily asset-based, and has a superior credit history relative to its peers, all of which should shield the company even if industry trends deteriorate. Both of these situations are followed by our fundamental analysts and are rated Strong Buy.

In the way of a follow-up, he wrote, “Haven't heard much on Briggs & Stratton in some time. I believe the thinking a year ago was; here is a company with a virtual monopoly, a low P/E, and a good dividend. I may have missed some comments, but we (Research) have it at an Outperform. I have had some inquiries lately on what’s going on with BGG since the clients that didn't stop-out are now down 20-30%.” I replied:

“For the past seven years my mantra has been to not let ANYTHING go more than 15% - 20% against you. In this biz you are not going to make a 4.0 like in ‘B’ school. The trick in this business is to sell your mistakes quickly. Plainly, BGG has been a mistake. BGG gave a huge sell-signal when it broke below its October 2005 closing low of $31.52, and despite our analyst's rating, I am gone from BGG. I can come back from a 15% - 20% loss. However, once losses become more than that, the ‘climb out’ is difficult. While I realize it is tough to get clients to ‘buy into’ limiting losses, that is indeed the key to overall portfolio performance. I continue to manage the risk accordingly.”

The call for this week: Last week the S&P 500 pushed above both its 50-day moving average (DMA) at 1257, as well as its 200-DMA (1266). However, the S&P 400 Mid Cap Index did not. Meanwhile, the 10-year T’Note yield dipped below 5%, vaulting the D-J Utility Index to within sneezing distance of its all-time high. Yet, almost unnoticed has been the silent “crash” in the D-J Transportation Average (DJTA), which despite Friday’s Fling (+109 points), is off more than 11% from its July 3rd high. This is not insignificant because if the markets are a discounting mechanism, the economically sensitive DJTA is telegraphing serious economic slowing ahead, confirming what is occurring in the real estate complex.

July 31, 2006

gipa69

collegio dei patafisici
Effettivamente questo fine settimana ho esagerato con i post ma ahimè non sto bene e quindi tanto vale cercare di essere produttivi.
Purtroppo ho una tonsillite recidiva che risponde poco anche ad antibiotici potenti e una tonsilla è quasi all'ascesso.
Questo non mi fa essere molto lucido in termini operativi ma in compenso credo di leggere cose sensate un pò dappertutto :D e allora le porto quà....

gipa69

collegio dei patafisici
Fed's Yellen: Funds Rate Currently 'Roughly Appropriate'
By Michael S. Derby
DOW JONES NEWSWIRES

SAN FRANCISCO (Dow Jones)--Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco President Janet Yellen said Monday monetary policy appears near where it needs to be given a moderation in economic growth and the impact of past rate hikes, but added central bankers need to watch incoming data closely to determine where to head next with rates.

"It appears to me that the federal funds rate currently lies in a vicinity that is roughly appropriate for the Fed to attain its key objectives over the medium run," Yellen said. But she added "since all such approaches are inherently imprecise, policy must be responsive to the data that actually emerges."

Yellen said the data the Fed must watch is not limited to statistics on "inflation, output and employment" but should include "energy prices, the dollar, the stock market, long-term interest rates, housing prices and inflation expectations."

Yellen was speaking before a group at the Golden Gate University in San Francisco. Her comments come amid considerable uncertainty about what the Fed's next move will be. Many in financial markets expect what is now a 5.25% overnight target rate will be maintained when policy makers next meet on Aug. 8, but many economists believe rising inflation pressure will likely drive the Fed to boost that key rate to 5.50%. Yellen is a voting member of the rate-setting Federal Open Market Committee.

Yellen explained that a complicated mix of forces are currently confronting policy-makers, and that by some reckoning, it could easily be argued interest rates need to rise to keep inflation at bay. But she cautioned policy-makers must be mindful of what they've already done with interest rate hikes.

"The need to incorporate lags between policy actions and effects on the economy is a key issue" and "we don't know what the lags are with precision, but we still need to do the best we can to take them into account," she said. Yellen added "we need to be forward-looking."

As things now stand, the bank president said, "the recent news" on inflation "has been disappointing." She said that with the core personal consumption expenditures price index having risen by nearly 3% during the second quarter and implying a 2 1/4% gain since a year ago, it means price pressures are "somewhat above my 'comfort zone' - a range between one and two percent that I consider an appropriate long-run inflation objective for the Fed." The bank president noted that there are signs surging energy prices have bled into core prices, although inflation expectations have remained in check.

The bank president said that she believes the fed funds rate should be "a bit above" a level that is neutral in regards to its impact on economic growth.

"It is critical that core inflation trend in a downward direction over the medium term, and I think this is the most likely outcome" given that growth is moderating, she said. Other reasons to be optimistic over inflation include modest gains in labor compensation, strong productivity growth and businesses' room to absorb higher input prices, she said.

Yellen called energy prices the "wild card" in the economic outlook.

In terms of current conditions, "the economy now appears to have moved within a range of the full utilization of its resources" and excess slack "has most likely been eliminated," Yellen said. She noted the current unemployment rate suggests the economy is currently enjoying a state of "full employment."

Still, referring to the rapid deceleration reported last week for second quarter U.S. economic growth, "my best guess is that growth will still be healthy but will remain somewhat below the sustainable rate as the year progresses," Yellen said.

"We have already seen some cooling in the housing sector, and this brings me to another factor that is likely to restrain growth," which is "the significant moderation in the rate of house price appreciation," she said. Yellen noted that this process has occurred in an "orderly way."

-By Michael S. Derby, Dow Jones Newswires; 201-938-4192; [email protected]

July 31, 2006 11:52 ET (15:52 GMT)

gipa69

collegio dei patafisici
UPDATE 2-Fed's Poole evenly split on need for rate hike
Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:20am ET
By Andrea Hopkins

LOUISVILLE, Ky., July 31 (Reuters) - St. Louis Federal Reserve Bank President William Poole said on Monday he feels evenly split about the need for an 18th consecutive interest-rate hike at the Fed's meeting next week.

"I am still very much in the 50-50 camp in terms of the probabilities for the August meeting, just as I was when I left the last meeting," Poole told reporters after speaking at a breakfast sponsored by the Southern Legislative Conference.

"We had the revisions of GDP data that came out Friday, employment data, other information, (which) probably lowers the outlook for economic growth going forward," he said.

"On the other hand, the data that have come in relative to assessing inflation pressures have tended to tilt in the direction of greater pressures than we had previously thought. For example, downward revision to GDP indicates that almost certainly the productivity numbers will be revised downward as well."

"Therefore I am still at 50-50," he said.

The Fed has raised overnight interest rates 17 straight times since June 2004 in a bid to head off inflation pressures, but financial markets think the central bank could finally take a break when policy-makers meet on Aug. 8. Poole is not one of the voting members of the central bank's policy-setting panel this year.

Poole said economic data showed two forces -- rising prices and slowing economic growth -- pulling the Fed in opposite directions and leaving it with the difficult decision of how to achieve balance.

"Obviously inflation is the Fed's primary responsibility in the sense that we need to maintain a low rate of inflation on a long-run basis in order to maximize employment and economic growth," Poole said.

"On the other hand, we have short-run effects on GDP from what we do, and we need to be sure that we don't have a more draconian policy to deal with inflation than we need to have. We need to do enough, but not more than is necessary."

Poole said downward revisions to U.S. gross domestic product released on Friday almost certainly meant productivity growth would also be revised lower. Robust productivity growth, or worker output per hour, has helped keep a lid on inflation.

He also said there were signs lofty energy costs were feeding through to other prices.

"Although we focus on the core measures of inflation that take out the direct impact of energy prices, the effect of energy prices because of transportation, because of raw material costs, is spreading elsewhere in the economy," Poole said.

DON'T FEAR CHINA

The St. Louis Fed president's comments on the U.S. economy and interest rates followed remarks on U.S.-China trade.

Asked about Beijing's currency policy, he said it was in China's interest to move toward a more flexible yuan "in due time."

"There is no question that in due time it will be in the interest of China to relax that peg or to move toward a more market-determined rate," he said. "I don't think it's going to stand for the long run. When it will change I have no idea."

"Obviously inflation is the Fed's primary responsibility in the sense that we need to maintain a low rate of inflation on a long-run basis in order to maximize employment and economic growth," Poole said.

"On the other hand, we have short-run effects on GDP from what we do, and we need to be sure that we don't have a more draconian policy to deal with inflation than we need to have. We need to do enough, but not more than is necessary."

Poole said downward revisions to U.S. gross domestic product released on Friday almost certainly meant productivity growth would also be revised lower. Robust productivity growth, or worker output per hour, has helped keep a lid on inflation.

He also said there were signs lofty energy costs were feeding through to other prices.

"Although we focus on the core measures of inflation that take out the direct impact of energy prices, the effect of energy prices because of transportation, because of raw material costs, is spreading elsewhere in the economy," Poole said.

gipa69

collegio dei patafisici
Per quanto riguarda i governatori della FED Poole dice che al momento la sua possibilità di voto per il prossimo meeting della FED per un possibile rialzo dei tassi è al 50/50. mentre per la Yellen o tassi USA sono vicini a quelli considerabili appropriati.

L'articolo di Saut invece prende in considerazioni i dati di venerdì e di come il mercato abbia voluto vedere in quei dati solo l'aspetto di fine ciclo rialzi dei tassi piuttosto che i preoccupanti dati sull'inflazione e cerca di dare alcune spiegazioni sul perchè di questa reazione e se è in qualche modo razionale.
Si addentra poi su alcuni titoli ed infine parla di nuovo dell'andamento da me già postato del DJ utilities e del DJ transportation.

gipa69

collegio dei patafisici
I governatori non parlano di mercati se non in casi particolari....

Saut è molto prudente.... ritiene che siamo a rischio di Stagflazione. (e non mi chiedere cosa è....) :D

gipa69

collegio dei patafisici
Fiboo stai cercando con impegno :up:

1154377986stagflation73106_1.gif

gipa69

collegio dei patafisici
Facciamo la chiosa a questa giornata:
si conferma l'estrema confidenza del mercato sull'andamento economico del prossimo futuro:
Il consolidamento che c'è stato si è mostrato comunque resistente ad ha mantenuto gli indici nei pressi di una resistenza considerata da molti importante.

Pur in presenza di commodity molto forti (ed in particolare l'energy e l'industriale) il mercato obbligazionario è rimastro intriso dalle considerazioni di fine rialzo relative ai dati di Venerdì e ai commenti possibilisti dei governatori odierni e non ha dato particolari segni di debolezza permettendo agli indici di non preoccuparsi troppo del rialzo delle materie prime.
Ma non penso che alla FED abbiano gradito questa seduta.

Per il momento però lasciamo le considerazioni precedenti come valide e stiamo a vedere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Alto