Titoli di Stato paesi-emergenti VENEZUELA e Petroleos de Venezuela - Cap. 2 (7 lettori)

Ventodivino

מגן ולא יראה
timeo danaos, et dona ferentes

Appunto.:)

Non comprendo questa mossa, teoricamente si dovrebbe entrare (consapevoli dell'illiquidità crescente), in pratica mi sembra impossibile che gli USA vogliano danneggiare proprio le US persons...
Se avessero voluto bloccare il 90% delle transazioni (e quindi imbalsamare i titoli) ci sarebbero riusciti.

Ma perchè ? :dietro:

Ventodivino

מגן ולא יראה

:bow:

Non me lo sono ancora letto, forse qui spiega.

Republic and PDVSA Bonds: No Trades With Friends and Family
posted by Mark Weidemaier
Mark Weidemaier and Mitu Gulati

A few days ago, we wondered why the U.S. government had constrained U.S. holders of PDVSA debt instruments to sell only to non-U.S. parties. The constraint would likely kill liquidity for these bonds and impose losses on bondholders. But why? And why impose the constraint on PDVSA bonds but not the Republic’s bonds?

On Friday, the Treasury apparently amended the sanctions order to impose the same constraint on the Republic’s bonds. Now these too can only be sold to non-U.S. persons.

But again, why? Venezuela hasn’t issued new bonds for a while, so why kill the secondary market for existing bonds?

Here are four possible explanations; we’d be grateful to hear others from readers:

1. Cut Off Oxygen: Venezuela has made a habit of issuing bonds and then parking them in domestic financial institutions, for later sale when the government is low on cash. Counterparties have been willing to accept these bonds in the hope that a future government will pay, even if the current one won’t. Perhaps the U.S. government believes Venezuela still has a stockpile of these parked bonds and is trying to eliminate this last source of oxygen for the Maduro government.

2. What’s Coming is Brutal: Perhaps the U.S. government expects a brutal restructuring and wants to give U.S. holders an opportunity to escape by selling to non-U.S. parties. But query: If this is the story, why would anyone want to buy? (Ans: They wouldn’t, thereby reducing liquidity even further).

3. Don’t Want Irate Bondholders Calling and Yelling at US Treasury Officials: This explanation is a version of the first one (Oxygen denial) and says that the U.S. wants to dramatically reduce the value of Venezuelan bonds in the short run, but not to zero, so that U.S. holders who really need to exit will still have a small escape window.

4. Cut Venezuela Out of the Index: Nearly two years ago, Harvard economist Ricardo Hausmann urged JP Morgan to remove Venezuelan bonds from its index (see here, for Hausmann’s now-famous “Hunger Bonds” article). Venezuela needed to solve a humanitarian crisis, not pay coupons to foreign bondholders. Hausmann understood that many investors would view Venezuelan bonds less favorably if the bonds were removed from JP Morgan’s index. Indirectly, the U.S. government might be trying to bring about this result. To stay in the index, a bond must be traded to some minimal degree. If the sanctions prevent this, Venezuelan bonds may be removed from index. But why would this matter to the U.S. government? Hausmann was worried about coupon payments being made to foreign creditors in lieu of assistance to the people of Venezuela. But Venezuela is not paying any coupons these days (except on the one collateralized PDVSA bond).

Explanations one and three seem most plausible to us. Perhaps the U.S. government is hoping for regime change in the near future. If so, the pain bondholders feel will be temporary and offset by gains once a reasonable government is in place. But if Maduro retains power, then the pain for U.S. holders of these instruments will be significant.

carib

rerum cognoscere causas
direi che Mnuchin non puo' proibire transazioni tra non-US persons, e non ha motivo per proibire la vendita da parte di US persons.

carib

rerum cognoscere causas
impedendo l'acquisto.. si rischia di impedire un possibile guadagno. chi avrebbe perso comprando.. poi certamente non si lamenterà'.
impedendo la vendita.. si potrebbero provocare danni non recuperabili ai sanzionati (ad esempio quelli che hanno bisogno di ossigeno)

sassipaolo

Chesenso's way
1 mese fa , i prezzi stavano appena sopra i 23

gli USA, dopo questo repentino rialzo, stanno dicendo alle USpersons di VENDERE perchè, con tutto il caos che ci sarà in Venezuela nei prox anni, i prezzi attuali ( 32/33) sono di MOOOOLTO superiori all'eventuale recovery ( che comunque, se ci sarà, sarà a babbo morto).

altro che danneggiare ..........gli AMERIKKIONI devono RINGRAZIARE il loro governo ;)

carib

rerum cognoscere causas
1 mese fa , i prezzi stavano appena sopra i 23

gli USA, dopo questo repentino rialzo, stanno dicendo alle USpersons di VENDERE perchè, con tutto il caos che ci sarà in Venezuela nei prox anni, i prezzi attuali ( 32/33) sono di MOOOOLTO superiori all'eventuale recovery ( che comunque, se ci sarà, sarà a babbo morto).

altro che danneggiare ..........gli AMERIKKIONI devono RINGRAZIARE il loro governo ;)

la tua opinione sul recovery value.. e' nota.
vedremo quando la telenovela arriverà' alla prossima stagione.

carib

rerum cognoscere causas
Diciamo che è nota e che varia repentinamente . ;)

Carib,
non hai pensato stamane di vendere ?
Oppure : hai venduto ?
Oppure : "sono cavoli miei". :)

e perche' mai?

1) non sono un "trader".
2) ho fatto una scommessa, a prezzi UPIM e su % limitata di portafoglio, sull'esito di lungo periodo. Non siamo mica alla fine della "telenovela".
3) ovviamente, a gennaio mi sono dispiaciuto di non aver comprato qualcosa ai saldi di fine dicembre... ma ora che c'e' il blocco.. mi rallegro di non aver aumentato la % di "dead money".

carib

rerum cognoscere causas
NON è mai variata. E' sempre la stessa

Sotto quello che penso sia il recovery LONGO , poi quando si va sopra quello che penso sia il recovery SHORTO.

forse la mia memoria sbaglia.. ma ricordavo una tua tesi "recovery zero"
ora, i sovrani sotto 20 (in large size) non sono mai andati, ed idem PDVsa sotto 14.

Ultima modifica:

Users who are viewing this thread

Alto