I carry porteranno inflazione? (1 Viewer)

gastronomo

Forumer storico
Grande Gipa ;) - domanda pro nuovo 3d: hai grafi che mostrino la correlazione tra valute carryate e indici azionari/commodities/mercati in genere su cui la liquidità sintetica vada ad essere investita? Sarebbe interessante vedere se dai cambi (trend) si possono individuare gradi di correlazione sufficientemente densi (et affidabili) per potersi tradare altri mercati :futuro: (meglio di cosi non riesco a spiegarmi, dev'essere l'età :rolleyes: ...)

gipa69

collegio dei patafisici
gastronomo ha scritto:
Grande Gipa ;) - domanda pro nuovo 3d: hai grafi che mostrino la correlazione tra valute carryate e indici azionari/commodities/mercati in genere su cui la liquidità sintetica vada ad essere investita? Sarebbe interessante vedere se dai cambi (trend) si possono individuare gradi di correlazione sufficientemente densi (et affidabili) per potersi tradare altri mercati :futuro: (meglio di cosi non riesco a spiegarmi, dev'essere l'età :rolleyes: ...)

Personalmente non riesco a monitorare tutti i mercati ma in linea di massimo la correlazione esiste ma non è facilmente tradabile se non su time frame di breve intraday e multiday limitati.
Negli altri casi il carry si mescola a considerazioni micro e macro sui singoli indici che fanno si che un mercato/settore sovrasottoperformi la strategia carry per un dato periodo di tempo.
Per il discorso invece dei top personalmente occorre una certa sensibilità individuale nel comprendere quando il movimento valutario corrisponde effettivamente a chiusure carry e non solo ad una pausa correttiva di breve periodo e l'individuazione del top di breve/medio segue l'individuazione dei top di qualsiasi mercato con le complicazioni del caso.
Nel caso di trend carry invece per operare al meglio occorre trovare i trend con maggiore momentum e su quelli investire fino all'inversione o alla loro eventuale sottoperformance relativamente al trend delle valute carry che indicano il cambiamento di strategia degli operatori vedi in caso India recente.
Spero di essere stato chiaro.

gastronomo

Forumer storico
Grazie Gipa, come al solito risposta molto chiara - in effetti è molto complicato quello che ti ho chiesto :rolleyes: ...ma sono sicuro che chi ne ha i mezzi (di analisi) una pensatina ce l'ha fatta di sicuro...altrimenti i "quant" non sarebbero pagati cosi tanto

gipa69

collegio dei patafisici
gastronomo ha scritto:
Grazie Gipa, come al solito risposta molto chiara - in effetti è molto complicato quello che ti ho chiesto :rolleyes: ...ma sono sicuro che chi ne ha i mezzi (di analisi) una pensatina ce l'ha fatta di sicuro...altrimenti i "quant" non sarebbero pagati cosi tanto

Come ho già detto in altre occasioni all'inizio di questo movimento rialzista i carry erano più chiari ed il tempo della costruzione dell'operazione più lunghi e quindi vi era più facibilità di tradarla... ora i sistemi sono sicuramente più sofisticati e maggiormente variabili (potenza dei software) e quindi diventa più difficile individuare i trend in essere
(anche se qualche piccolo artificio esiste.... :cool: )

gipa69

collegio dei patafisici
AP
Finland Says Inflation Up to 2.6 Percent
Friday April 13, 3:28 am ET
Finland's Inflation Rate Surged to 2.6 Pct. in March, the Highest Figure in Almost 6 Years

HELSINKI, Finland (AP) -- Finland's annual inflation rate surged to 2.6 percent in March, the highest figure in almost six years, the government statistics agency said Friday.
Last month's rate was up from 2.2 percent in February and 0.9 percent in March last year, Statistics Finland said.

The increase was mainly attributable to higher housing costs. Higher electricity prices, food prices and phone call charges also contributed to increasing inflation.

Finland, where inflation has regularly been below the average of the of all the eurozone members, last had an annual rate of more than 2.6 percent in June 2001 when it was 3 percent.

gipa69

collegio dei patafisici
China foreign exchange reserves swell to $1.2tr in first quarter
Reuters

Beijing: China's foreign exchange reserves, the biggest stash in the world, surged to $1.202 trillion in the first quarter as money supply growth slowed modestly in response to a government tightening campaign.

The central bank said that the reserves had swelled by $135.7 billion between January and March, more than half the nation's $247.3 billion reserves accumulation for the whole of 2006.

The record quarterly rise followed increases of $78.4 billion in the fourth quarter, $46.8 billion in the third and $66 billion in the April-June period of last year.

Analysts said the jump, which will intensify upward pressure on the yuan, had confounded expectations given a narrowing in the size of the country's trade surplus in the first three months.

'A bit strange'

"It is a bit strange because there was a huge gap between the FX reserve increase and the size of the trade balance in the first quarter," said Jun Ma, an economist for Deutsche Bank in Hong Kong.

"Implication-wise, it certainly continues to put pressure on the currency despite the significant drop in the trade balance in March."

China's reserves have ballooned in recent years as the central bank, in order to hold down the yuan, has bought most of the dollars generated by a growing trade surplus, inflows of foreign direct investment and speculative capital.

China's trade surplus narrowed to $46.44 billion in the first quarter, compared to $67.75 billion in the final three months of 2006, suggesting a slower build-up of reserves between January and March.

Some economists speculated that the jump may have been driven by central bank moves to wind down swap agreements with commercial lenders.

gipa69

collegio dei patafisici
WASHINGTON, April 13 (Reuters) - European Central Bank Governing Council member Axel Weber said on Friday the 13-nation euro zone faces a greater risk of an inflation rise now that it is on a track of solid growth.

"We see in the medium term an inflation rate in the euro area of about 2 percent, perhaps slightly more," said Weber, also president of the Bundesbank, Germany's central bank.

"Upward risks for inflation dominate downward chances," he told reporters ahead of a meeting of Group of Seven finance ministers. Stronger European economic performance is expected to help offset a U.S. slowdown and sustain global expansion.

"We assume that growth in the first quarter in the euro zone could be moderated some way because of the German VAT (value-added tax) increase but a solid trend is still working and could lead to a more positive growth than we had expected originally," he said.

Reuters Pictures

Editors Choice: Best pictures
from the last 24 hours.
View Slideshow

Among the inflation risks that Weber cited was the possibility that commodity prices could shoot up, as had happened with oil prices in past instances.

But the biggest danger was that currency markets could turn volatile, though he said that did not appear to be an immediate threat.

"The main danger as we see it are abrupt and disorderly developments in the foreign exchange markets and our judgment is that we don't see that at the moment," Weber said.

The relatively strong performance of the euro's value against other currencies was a reflection of the European economy's vigor, he added.

Separately, German Deputy Finance Minister Thomas Mirow said any suggestion that Germany was abandoning its call for a code of conduct for hedge funds, in the face of resistance from some other G7 countries, was wrong.

"These reports are not correct," Mirow said.

The United States and Britain, where most of the large hedge funds are based, have suggested that market discipline is effective in ensuring that hedge funds do not take excessive risks, provided that investors are sufficiently knowledgeable about the strategies the funds follow.

gipa69

collegio dei patafisici
Posizione leggermente divergente dalle solite rispetto al carry trade e che nella versione attuale condivido. Precedentemente Jen sosteneva l'inesistenza del carry sintetico! Probabilmente MS aveva grosse posizioni sull'argomento!
Quà si sottolinea con il fenomeno carry sia strutturale o almeno ciclico in quanto la fuoriuscita di capitali dal giappone continua incessantemente e in questi ultimi anni ha preso strade anche più "rischiose".
Il motivo di questa inversione di tendenza sugli investimenti data da Jen mi sembra un pò leggerino.
Più probabile un maggior orientamento al rischio permesso da un andamento demografico che concentra le ricchezze nipponiche in sempre meno mani con i figli orami 40/50enni più orientati ad un modello anglosassone di investimento rispetto ai padri.

Currencies
Big Potential for Further Japanese Retail Outflows
April 05, 2007

By Stephen Jen | London

Summary and conclusions

In this note, I highlight a simple point, that Japan’s holdings of risky assets, including foreign assets, as a percentage of its total liquid financial asset holdings, are still very low. This implies that there is great potential for further retail outflows. Whether or not these outflows will persist is a difficult call for me to make now, but investors should be aware that the origin of the pressure expelling capital out of Japan may be quite powerful and structural in nature. Though important in their own right, the ‘JPY carry trades’ are a coincidental story.

In my recent writing, I have highlighted the cyclical vulnerability of the USD, particularly in 2Q. However, the risks to USD/JPY are biased to the upside, as the JPY carry trades and structural capital outflows are likely to keep the JPY weak. I reiterate our call that USD/JPY will reclaim 120 and EUR/JPY will breach 160 in 2Q.

Two schools of thought on why the JPY is weak

There are two broad schools of thoughts on the JPY. Outside Japan, investors and commentators seem to be fixated on the so-called ‘JPY carry trades’. In Japan, the view on the JPY straddles both a structural and a cyclical aspect. The cyclical part is related to the ‘JPY carry’, but the structural part is connected with a fundamental and structural shift in Japan’s ‘home bias’. My view is more in alignment with the mindset in Japan.

Like many in Japan, I believe that the JPY is weak partly, not wholly, because of Japan’s low interest rates. What has been a key development since late 2005 is a gradual decline in Japan’s ‘home bias’ (i.e., its long-standing preference, possibly driven by cultural or risk preferences in the past, for JPY-denominated assets). The positive interest rate carry has encouraged this structural shift, but the structural shift would probably have occurred even if Japan’s interest rates were higher than they are now, I suspect.

This is the ‘capital outflow’ story I’ve tried to emphasize to clients in recent months, to try to draw them away from the simple ‘JPY carry trade’ fad. While ‘JPY carry trades’ have indeed been a powerful force in keeping the JPY under-valued, structural capital outflows are also critically important. Further, I believe that the latter is a bigger story — not only because Japanese flows into foreign equities may have accelerated, but also because a similar trend may be occurring in Korea right now and may occur in China in the coming years.

The BoJ’s Flow of Funds data

The Bank of Japan recently released the 4Q06 Flow of Funds data. In this release, the BoJ documents the stocks of financial asset holdings of different types of investors in Japan. In this note, I am focusing on the Japanese HHs.

I make the following observations:

• Observation 1. Japanese HHs have massive financial holdings: close to US$13 trillion in gross terms and US$10 trillion in net terms. Japanese HHs now hold close to US$13 trillion worth of financial assets, with a net asset position of US$9.6 trillion, which is roughly equivalent to around 220% of GDP. While the economy as a whole, including all seven key sectors, owns nearly US$80 trillion of assets, the Japanese HHs have the largest net asset position of all. Thus, the HH sector is most important for the purpose of thinking about the capacity of capital outflows from a sector that is most likely not bogged down by concerns about asset-liability mismatch.

• Observation 2. Japanese HHs have a cash-rich portfolio. Incredibly, 50.5% of Japanese HHs’ assets are held in currency and deposits; the comparable figure in the US is around 10%. Direct JGB holdings account for 2.1% and equities account for 11.9% of retail investors’ portfolios. Another 25.9% are held in insurance and pension reserves, which, in turn, are mostly invested in bonds and equities. In any case, Japanese HHs’ cash holdings are still meaningfully larger than the total holdings of securities at around 40.0%, excluding investment trust beneficiary certificates. (The comparable figure for the US is 83%, based on the Fed’s Flow of Funds data.) This suggests to me that the current level of risk-tolerance of Japan’s HHs is still extraordinarily low, and has scope to increase in the future.

• Observation 3. Japanese investors’ direct holdings of foreign currency assets are very low. Japanese HHs’ direct holdings of foreign securities account for only 0.5% of their total wealth. Even the economy-wide average of 5.5% is rather low. Adding on top of these figures the foreign currency cash deposits, the Japanese HHs hold less than 1% of their financial wealth directly in foreign assets, and the economy as a whole has only about 6.1% directly held in non-JPY assets.

Financial institutions may have raised their non-JPY asset holdings, on behalf of the Japanese HHs. The BoJ’s Flow of Funds data don’t offer new information on the non-JPY asset holdings by Japanese financial institutions. What is reported is that investment trust funds have grown by around US$300 billion in size (¥33.6 trillion) in the last two years. A good portion of this increase may have come from the foreign currency component, I suspect.

Demographics and risk-taking in Japan

The ‘JPY carry trades’ became especially popular toward the end of 2005, when it, ironically, became clear that the BoJ was preparing the market to terminate QE (quantitative easing) and ZIRP (zero interest rate policy). While ‘JPY carry trades’ are clearly an important factor keeping JPY weak now, it is not clear why they were not a factor prior to 2005, when the JPY’s yield deficits were also quite large against several currencies. I suspect that there have been both cyclical and structural factors that triggered such a shift in risk-taking. One of the possible explanations of a structural shift in risk-taking could be demographics, whereby Japan’s ageing population has finally realized that a relatively straightforward way to help finance their lengthening retirements (as longevity improves and workers retire as scheduled) is to deploy cash to riskier assets.

Bottom line

There is significant potential for Japan’s retail sector to continue to raise its investment in risky assets in general and non-JPY assets in particular. The sector’s cash holdings of 50% and securities holdings of 40% of its total financial wealth are very puzzling (the figures are 10% and 83%, respectively in the US) and could potentially rise sharply. The possibility that the Japanese investor base may be undergoing a structural shift may pose a lingering threat to the JPY. Capital outflows from Japan could continue to over-rule economic fundamentals and keep the JPY under-valued.

Users who are viewing this thread

Alto