slowdown

Forumer storico
J.P. Morgan sees value in convertible bonds
By Lisa Twaronite, MarketWatch
Last update: 7:45 p.m. EDT March 31, 2009

The capitalization of the U.S. CB market was roughly halved in 2008, and currently stands at $210 billion - while the face value of the bonds is $280 billion - J.P. Morgan

SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- Convertible bonds were among the potentially valuable assets left trampled underfoot as hedge funds stampeded out of securities in the past half year, leaving bargains for investors who want to look through the rubble.

Convertible bonds (CBs) are classic hybrid products: debt instruments whose purchasers can exchange them for a predetermined number of the issuing company's shares, at a set price. CBs offer investors the downside protection of a bond plus the upside potential of the share price. Like straight bonds, the instruments generally carry a fixed coupon and pay back the original investment at maturity. But the hybrid security often comes with an option to buy the issuer's stock at predetermined strike price.

CBs "are currently trading below their fair values as a result of the forced de-leveraging of arbitrage accounts," said J.P. Morgan analysts Marko Kolanovic, Kapil Dhingra and Amyn Bharwani in a research report released Tuesday.

A CB holder is automatically diversified, because the instrument itself is exposed to three asset classes - corporate bonds, stocks and equity volatility -- that are "less than perfectly correlated and therefore partially offset each other's risk," the analysts said.
The U.S. CB market is largely skewed towards small- and mid-cap, non-investment grade or non-rated issues, and the sector breakdown is skewed towards financials, heath care, technology, and consumer discretionary issuers, the analysts said.
"The market events of 2008 upset the balance between participants in the convertible bond market. As arbitrage accounts reduced leverage, the prices of many convertible bonds were pushed below their fair values. These valuation levels are now becoming attractive to fundamental credit and equity investors," they said.
The analysts said arbitrage accounts were significant holders of CBs. They would buy and hedge new issues and profit from the spread between the bond's price and the bond's fair value.
"These arbitrage accounts usually relied on leverage to finance their positions," they said, and had to cash out of their holdings beginning in September 2008.

Distressed levels

Some CBs issued by companies with weak credit have even been trading at distressed levels -- 60% or more below the bond's face value.
The capitalization of the U.S. CB market was roughly halved in 2008, and currently stands at $210 billion - while the face value of the bonds is $280 billion, JPMorgan said.
"CBs lost a large portion of their equity and equity volatility sensitivity and started to trade similar to straight bonds," they said.

A CB issued by Advanced Micro Devices Inc. has a coupon of 5.75% and matures in 2012. It is currently trading at distressed level of 45 cents per dollar, the analysts said. AMD shares closed Tuesday at $3.05, down 4.4%.
"Based on the current suppressed valuations, the CB is providing an annualized yield of 35% and should outperform the stock under a wide range of stock performance scenarios both on the upside and on the downside," they said, suggesting that investors "replace part of their AMD holding with 5.75% 2012 CBs as a downside stock hedge and a source of attractive yield."

Another CB the analysts cited was Chesapeake Energy Corp.'s 2.75% coupon issue, maturing in 2035. The bond is puttable - meaning, investors can put, or sell, the shares back to issue at a specified price - at par, or face value, in 2015, and matures in 2035. It is currently yielding 8% through the put date.
"The attractiveness comes from the embedded six-year equity and hence implicit commodity (natural gas) option. In case we experience another large spike in energy prices any time over the next six years, this convertible could generate a windfall profit in a portfolio," the JPMorgan analysts said.

Smithfield Foods Inc.'s 4% convertible maturing in 2013 is now trading at 68 cents per dollar of face value, implying a 14% annual yield until maturity, the analysts said. Smithfield Foods shares closed Tuesday at $9.46, up 6.9%.
"The current convertible bond yield is approximately the same as the yield of straight SFD bonds. Therefore, the convertible can be a good addition/replacement for straight SFD bonds as any upside equity exposure comes at no additional cost," said JPMorgan. "Equity investors can include this convertible in their portfolios as a source of attractive yield and as a downside hedge (replacement) for SFD stock holding."

US Bancorp's 0% convertible matures in 2035, and is puttable for par in December of 2010. The CB is currently trading at $89, implying a 7% annualized yield to put, the analysts said.
"We recommend this convertible bond to credit investors as a superior risk/reward replacement for USB straight bonds," the analysts said. End of Story

Lisa Twaronite reports for MarketWatch from San Francisco.

... mi verrebbe da pensare che J.P. Morgan deve venderne ancora una buona dose :mumble:

laz

Forumer attivo
Molto interessante l'aticolo di oggi sul Corriere riguardo alla rinascita di Alitalia Cargo e alle sue ottime prospettive.

Tra i finanziatori c'è anche BIM.

Inoltre, c'è un certo Leali, bresciano (ma fuori dal giro Hopa) che ha interessi in svariate attività e che di BIM (non lo sapevo) ha il 2% (così dce l'articolo).

dagoweb

Forumer attivo
B.Stabili,torri Garibaldi in affitto, ma non esclusa cessione-AD

martedì 31 marzo 2009 15:53

Stampa quest’articolo
[-] Testo [+]

MILANO, 31 marzo (Reuters) - Beni Stabili (BNSI.MI: Quotazione) intende mantenere la proprietà delle torri milanesi di Garibaldi, in via di riqualificazioe, ma non chiude la porta a una eventuale cessione se il Comune di Milano confermerà il suo interesse.
Lo ha detto l'AD Aldo Mazzocco nel corso di un convegno organizzato dallo studio di architettura Progetto Cmr, Borsa immobiliare di Milano e Urban Land Institute.
"Il nostro primo pensiero è di affittarle, è questo il nostro mestiere", ha risposto Mazzocco a una domanda sulla possibile vendita delle torri all'amministrazione milanese. "Certo il Comune è il Comune, se è davvero interessato, vedremo", ha aggiunto.
Beni Stabili sta portando avanti il progetto di riqualificazione dell'area delle due torri della stazione Garibaldi, acquistata dalle Ferrovie, utilizzando i criteri della ecosostenibilità sotto la direzione dell'architetto Massimo Roj. Saranno ad esempio utilizzati l'acqua di falda per la climatizzazione degli edifici, il sole e il vento per la produzione di energia elettrica.
"Vogliamo realizzare le prime green towers in Italia", ha spiegato l'architetto Roj. Le torri, destinate prevalentemente ad uso uffici, ospiteranno ciascuna fino a 2.000 persone; i costi per i soli lavori superano i 70 milioni di euro.
"Siamo una società abituata a far tornare i conti; non intendevamo fare un 'immobile simbolo' senza badare all'equilibrio economico, e per fortuna, se no in questa fase avremmo dovuto fermare i lavori", ha continuato Mazzocco. "Invece, spendendo solo il 6-8% in più, stiamo costruendo tra i migliori asset di qualità ambientale e sociale senza rinunciare all'estetica", ha concluso il manager ricordando che il gruppo resta focalizzato sulla sua natura di property company e che "l'attività di sviluppo conta solo per il 6% del patrimonio ed è per noi la fabbrica del nostro portafoglio futuro"

© Thomson Reuters 2009 Tutti i diritti assegna a Reuters.

lollofanki

fumorer
bel grafichino

va in fuga?

BENI STA 2011CV.png

lollofanki

fumorer
settimanale

siamo vicini ad un livello topico
penso che sul mercao bond corporate con 3 anni di vita e questa solidità non ci sia rimasto in giro molto a questi prezzi...
tenete d'occhio la linea centrale ad 88-89 il superamento per me e vero segnale di uscita da questa cronica sottovalutazione.
anche i volumi sono da settimane molto ma molto intensi
segno tangibile di fiducia se qualcuno vende non mancano anche i compratori

settimanaleBENI STA 2011CV.png

Ultima modifica:

paziente

Forumer attivo
Le azioni salgono, ma non penso ancora per molto.

Ma quel che mi preoccupa è l'obbligazionario sembra che non voglia superare gli 88.
Son sempre indeciso se vendere col mio piccolo sporco guadagno o tenerle ancora...
Boh aspetto un mesetto e nel farttempo monitorizzo la situazione.

negusneg

A CB issued by Advanced Micro Devices Inc. has a coupon of 5.75% and matures in 2012. It is currently trading at distressed level of 45 cents per dollar, the analysts said. AMD shares closed Tuesday at $3.05, down 4.4%.
"Based on the current suppressed valuations, the CB is providing an annualized yield of 35% and should outperform the stock under a wide range of stock performance scenarios both on the upside and on the downside," they said, suggesting that investors "replace part of their AMD holding with 5.75% 2012 CBs as a downside stock hedge and a source of attractive yield."

... mi verrebbe da pensare che J.P. Morgan deve venderne ancora una buona dose :mumble:

:up:

Qualche settimana fa AMD era inclusa in una lista di società che potrebbero fallire entro l'anno, non ricordo più se di S&P's o Moody's...

ConteRosso

mod sanguinario
paziente io le terrei ...naturalemente dipende dal prezzo di carico
dalla composizione del portf e cosa vuoi farne dell'eventuale gain
ma i riski da correre con questa conv mi sembrano pochi ;)

laz

Forumer attivo
Da B&F di oggi, sabato 4 aprile:

VOCI INSISTENTI, IN BORSA, DI UNA PROROGA AL 2011 DELLA CV IFIS...

Users who are viewing this thread

Alto