S&P 500 Le news di oggi (3 lettori)

gipa69

collegio dei patafisici
la grecia tarocca i conti e viene salvata, le banche che avevano investimenti greci vengono salvate, mi pare che passi il messaggio "fate quello che vi pare tanto poi qualcuno mette una pezza"

La cosa piu grave è questa accusa agli speculatori, non evidenziando le responsabilita dei singoli stati, perchè se la speculazione attacca la Grecia e non la Germania un motivo comunque ci sarà aldilà dei discorsi di interesse di parte che comunque esistono e che ho gia affrontato sul blog. Dopo queste iniziative fare le facce cattive con gli stati canaglia oppure con gli speculatori sembra ipocrita visto che la politica europea ne ha applicato gli stessi principi.
Comunque quando la menavano i tedeschi con la disciplina di bilnacio ecc qualche ragione bisogna riconosceglierla.

gipa69

collegio dei patafisici
WHAT...MARKET WORRY?
By Charles Payne, CEO & Principal Analyst

5/11/2010 1:40:33 PM Eastern Time

I must say that I'm thoroughly impressed with the action in the market today. This is the proverbial wall of worry move, and it's feeding on itself. There isn't any change to questions about Europe but the collapse in talks between Clegg and the Labor Party in the U.K. is great news for a person that likes lower debt and fiscal restraint in government (and that's everyone these days, right?). Of course, there could be an urgency factor to get the market rolling again before the entire show draws to a close. The point is that gold is soaring along with equities, reflecting an atmosphere where there are short-term opportunities and long-term realities.

The fact that the NASDAQ composite is leading the way underscores the notion that there are short-term opportunities. The usual suspects, Apple (AAPL) and Google (GOOG), are leading the way as semis more or less languish. The index is hovering between the 50 and 200-day moving averages but is on the cusp of clearing the former. That would be impressive, but without huge volume not as convincing.
3_MONTH_CHART.png
Afternoon Notes from WSS Research Desk

David Urani

Update on Eyjafjallajokul (a.k.a. The Volcano in Iceland)
It caused a big stir when it initially erupted last month, but it's not over yet. The volcano continues to spew ash clouds miles high, interrupting air traffic all the way from Ireland, southward down through Portugal, Western Spain, and even into Morocco. In total, European air traffic yesterday was down approximately 5.5% from what it would have typically been. United Airlines estimated the impact on its April sales was about $35.0 million.

I don't mean to sound like Dr. Doom but the last time this volcano erupted in 1821 it lasted for two years and caused widespread economic difficulties in Europe, particularly in agriculture. In addition, the last three times the volcano erupted, it also triggered its neighboring, more active volcano "Katla" to erupt as well. Admittedly, geologists have no way of predicting how long the eruption will last, or how much more intense it will get. Just something to think about...

Carlos Guillen

Techs Hover in the Green
After dropping from its twelve month high late last week, the Philadelphia Semiconductor Index (SOX) has been recuperating some of the lost ground, and today it is slowly ramping higher, along with the general market.

While most of the lost territory in the SOX has been the result of the European debt crisis, tech stocks have bounced back and appear ready to make a move higher. From a technical perspective, the SOX has bounced off support at 350.0 and has failed to fall below that, indicating a continuing move to the upside.

Earlier today, shares of Apple (AAPL) were positively supported by an upgrade of its price target to $320, giving the stock the potential for a move of 23% in the coming 12-months, given higher expected Mac and iPad sales.

As we had expected, the improving economic backdrop around the world and strong demand for PCs led to a blowout March quarter for many tech companies. Strong demand drove revenues higher, in general much better than many expected. What is very encouraging is that the better than expected revenue was fueled by end-demand and inventory replenishment played a smaller role. In fact, channel inventories remained flat and are still lean.

Moreover, from the perspective of the average economist, the consumer is recuperating very well and, in fact, will be able continue to increase spending on its own, that is, without the assistance of government stimulus efforts. Such is the confidence economists are gaining with respect to the consumer that they have raised their second quarter consumer spending growth rates to 3%, up from 2.5%. The combination of low inflation rates and low interest rates are creating a favorable atmosphere for self sustainable consumer spending growth for the rest of 2010. Even with the European debt crisis, the U.S. consumer will continue to spend, and this certainly bodes well for tech stocks.

Conley Turner

Oil and the Exposure to the News Flow
The robust rally yesterday can be characterized as something of a relief rally, particularly in light of the market weakness experienced over the past few weeks. However, it is typical for there not to be any significant follow through after such an impressive move, and this time is no different.

In fact, market participants are signaling some degree of skepticism about the Greek bailout and are showing no love for the Euro by leaving the beleaguered currency and piling into the dollar. After all, Spain and Portugal are next in line to address their debt issues. This, in turn, is having an impact on the price of crude oil as the dollar index is rising in value versus a basket of other international currencies, including the Euro. Oil and other commodities, for the most part, have an inverse relationship with value of the dollar.

David Silver

Looking Under the Rug
The Senate passed an amendment this afternoon that would give Congress'investigative arm, the Government Accountability Office, a one-time all you can handle look at the Federal Reserve's books. The period would begin in December of 2007 and go through the peak of the lending to financial institutions through 2008. In a rare form of both sides of the aisle actually agreeing on something, the amendment was passed with a unanimous vote of 96-0.

After this morning's announcement that Fannie Mae (FNM) needs another $8.4 billion, the Senate is finally discussing ending the connection with the two conservatorships. A bill authored by Senator McCain, that could be voted on as early as today, would set a hard end date for the government's control of Fannie and Freddie. It would also eventually end their government-sponsored charter, roll back the firm's loan limits, require them to pay state and local taxes, and require them to pay back the government for any benefit the firm received from receiving an implicit guarantee (really interested how you would put a number on this). Doesn't look like the bill will get the votes to pass, but finally someone is talking about the black hole that has become Fannie and Freddie. The two conservatorships purchase approximately 97% of all home-loans, but even these two companies have been edging into the riskier loans. As Charles said this morning, any business run for a political gain is doomed to fail.

superbaffone

http://www.wallstreetitalia.com/article.aspx?IdPage=935866

(WSI) - Le regole sono di due tipi. Ci sono quelle che vengono da molto, molto in alto (e vengono pubblicate scolpite su tavole speciali custodite con particolare cura) e poi ci sono tutte le altre, fatte dagli uomini per gli uomini. Queste ultime vengono cambiate continuamente, in omaggio al principio che le regole sono al servizio degli uomini e non il contrario.

Sul documento che viene considerato il più robusto e duraturo tra quelli di natura politica, la costituzione americana, sono state scritte decine di migliaia di pagine per dimostrare che, tra modifiche, interpretazioni e integrazioni, la costituzione materiale di oggi assomiglia ben poco a quella pensata dai Padri Fondatori. Ci fu uno stravolgimento da parte di Lincoln, un altro nella Progressive Era, poi con Roosevelt e infine dall’età kennediana in avanti (Obama ha una sua visione per nuovi mutamenti). Qualcuno si scandalizza, ma i più fanno notare che, se non si fosse data qualche ritocco, l’America sarebbe ancora una società schiavista.

L’Europa, invece, pare non abbia diritto a rivedere le sue regole. E’ venuto fuori un finimondo per le decisioni prese durante la lunga notte dell’euro. Scandalo, stupore attonito, indignazione fremente, condanna, sprezzo. Un altro chiodo piantato nella bara dell’euro, dice Jim Rogers. Continente delle banane. Varcato il Rubicone, annota preoccupato David Mackie di JP Morgan. Il bello è che lo scandalo, spesso, ha preceduto l’analisi di merito. Ci si è scandalizzati per il solo fatto che qualche regola sia cambiata.

Ancora più affascinante appare questa reazione se si considera che in senso stretto non è stata cambiata nessuna regola, si è semplicemente data qua e là un’interpretazione diversa rispetto a quella della Tradizione. Non verrà emesso debito da parte dell’Unione. Tutto rimarrà formalmente bilaterale, tranne i 50 miliardi aggiunti alla facility che nei mesi scorsi aveva aiutato Ungheria e Romania (senza che nessuno protestasse, peraltro). La Bce non stamperà un euro (i titoli comprati verranno sterilizzati).

Il livore delle critiche colpisce particolarmente quando proviene da inglesi o americani che non hanno avuto nulla da eccepire rispetto a misure molto più brutali prese dalla Fed, dalla Bank of England o dalla Banca del Giappone. Spesso queste misure sono state invocate dai mercati e dalla comunità degli economisti e non di rado sono state considerate addirittura insufficienti.

Per dare l’idea dei due pesi e delle due misure partiamo da un aspetto non centralissimo. Qualcuno si è stracciato le vesti o ha sentito brividi lungo la schiena, il 28 aprile, quando il comunicato del Fomc è stato votato a schiacciante maggioranza ma con il dissenso formale di Honig? Qualcuno ha pensato che Honig stia preparando l’uscita dal dollaro da parte della Fed di Kansas City? Qualcuno ritiene che senza il falco Honig la Fed si incamminerà verso il baratro? Ecco invece che un consiglio della Bce con Weber dissenziente appare come una disgrazia da commentare con concitazione e costernazione.

Andando poi al nocciolo della questione, la filosofia che ha ispirato tutte le misure prese nel fine settimana è quella del credit easing, non quella del quantitative easing. Tra i due approcci c’è una notevole differenza.

Il quantitative easing è l’acquisto diretto di titoli (e titolacci) finanziato con la stampa di moneta. Il credit easing è l’acquisto diretto di titoli (e titolacci) finanziato con la vendita di altri titoli già in portafoglio o prendendo a prestito soldi dai mercati.

La manovra europea parte tutta (più avanti si vedrà, ogni giorno ha la sua croce) come credit easing. Il veicolo da 440 miliardi (più i 220 del Fondo Monetario) si avvarrà di garanzie dei singoli stati dell’Eurozona e si finanzierà sul mercato. La Bce, dal canto suo, comprerà titoli greci o portoghesi o di chiunque sia attaccato dai lupi vendendo Bund che ha in portafoglio. Sarà la vista che cala con l’età, ma di euro freschi di conio o stampa non riusciamo a vederne.

Certo, la qualità dell’attivo della Bce in questo modo non migliorerà, ma ricordiamoci che la Fed ha in pancia tonnellate di titoli di agenzie a confronto delle quali la Grecia è solida come una roccia (oltre a uno spezzatino di asset ex Bear Stearns e Aig e a garanzie elargite in giro ai tempi della crisi). In totale la Fed ha creato base monetaria per 1.2 trilioni (la Bank of England in proporzione ancora di più). La Bce, a oggi, è ferma a 60 miliardi di covered bond.

I nostalgici della Bundesbank e dei suoi rigori dovrebbero considerare che la creazione di moneta pari all’ per cento del Pil da parte della Fed non ha nuociuto al dollaro, che oggi molti cercano avidamente. In evidente violazione delle leggi di natura, inoltre, quell’ per cento non si è accompagnato a un’esplosione dell’inflazione, ma a una sua diminuzione. Si può anzi dire che quella dose di zuccheri a un paziente ipoglicemico che stava collassando è stata il fattore che ha portato l’America alla ripresa e il dollaro alla sua forza attuale rispetto a euro e yen (gli zuccheri ai pazienti iperglicemici portano invece allo Zimbabwe).

La questione del default greco, comunque venga risolta, non è per l’immediato. Da parte greca non c’è interesse a prendere misure unilaterali per i prossimi tre anni per due motivi. Il primo è che la Grecia ha i soldi assicurati appunto per tre anni e non si fa uno sgarbo a chi ci aiuta. Il secondo è che ai paesi indebitati viene voglia di ripudiare il debito quando raggiungono il pareggio primario. Uno stato in pareggio non ha bisogno di soldi freschi e può trattare malissimo i vecchi creditori, salvo ricucire i rapporti (come sta facendo l’Argentina con chi non ha accettato la ristrutturazione del 2005) quando torna in passivo operativo e deve cercare di nuovo soldi in giro. Alla Grecia ci vorranno almeno due anni per arrivare a un pareggio primario.

Dal canto loro, anche le banche francesi e tedesche avranno bisogno di due o tre anni per costituire riserve per una svalutazione dei titoli greci. Quanto a Spagna e Portogallo, i fondi europei li mettono al riparo, ma quello che conta è che la correzione fiscale è già iniziata e procederà spedita.

L’Europa mediterranea vivrà una fase di deflazione salariale per i prossimi tre-cinque anni. L’euro debole almeno per i primi due eviterà che ci sia una discesa complessiva del sistema dei prezzi. Per i prossimi mesi, quindi, l’euro andrà venduto su forza. L’euro debole non è un problema, è anzi parte della cura.

La borsa tedesca, in particolare i ciclici esportatori, trarrà vantaggio da questa situazione. Le imprese tedesche venderanno di meno in Grecia, Spagna e Portogallo, ma venderanno di più in tutto il resto del mondo. E’ uno scambio molto vantaggioso nel momento in cui la Cina sta per rivalutare e trascinare verso l’alto le altre valute asiatiche, incluso lo yen.

A conti fatti il branco di lupi che ha attaccato l’euro ha indotto Eurolandia a svegliarsi dal suo torpore, a prendere atto dei suoi problemi e a reagire prendendo più in fretta misure che si sarebbero dovute comunque adottare.
Ora i lupi sono tornati sulle montagne con lo stomaco solo mezzo pieno, ma è bene che non si allontanino troppo. L’Europa sta rafforzando i suoi meccanismi di controllo su tutti i paesi membri, ma un certo numero di lupi che girano intorno contribuirà a fare mantenere alta la guardia.

La crisi dei giorni scorsi indurrà i mercati a una certa prudenza ancora per qualche tempo, ma è stata troppo breve per incidere sulla crescita globale. Le stime di crescita hanno anzi continuato a essere alzate anche nei giorni più bui.

Il tema del rallentamento della Cina e dell’esplosione inflazionistica continuerà ad esserci ricordato ogni giorno, ogni ora, ogni minuto. E’ da settembre che si va avanti con questa teoria. I dati pubblicati lunedì indicano però la produzione industriale e le vendite al dettaglio in crescita del 18 per cento anno su anno e un’inflazione alla vertiginosa altezza del 2.8 per cento. Alla fine un certo rallentamento ci sarà, ma controllato e limitato.
Il 2011 sarà l’anno mondiale delle tasse. A gentile richiesta dei mercati che sopportano sempre meno i disavanzi, i governi colpiranno imprese, cose e persone. Fu così anche nel 1936 e nel 1937, proprio per questo si ricadde in una pesante recessione. I governi hanno studiato l’esperienza del 1937 e cercheranno di non usare una mano troppo pesante. Lupi permettendo.

superbaffone

siamo sui minimi del 2008, fino ad ora il cross ha fatto cicli di 8 anni quindi se il max è stato fatto nel 2008 il prossimo minimo dovrebbe essere nel 2016 :eek:

Allegati

• ScreenHunter_046.gif
    ScreenHunter_046.gif
    9,1 KB · Visite: 273
Ultima modifica di un moderatore:

gipa69

collegio dei patafisici
FRANK BEING SENSIBLE
By Charles Payne, CEO & Principal Analyst

5/25/2010 2:13:45 PM Eastern Time

In the midst of a classic freefall an unlikely hero stepped forward. Representative Barney Frank uttered statements on the final financial regulatory reform bill that seems to put intelligence ahead of ideology. Of course, it's a long way from where true reform should be, but at this stage of the game, there are only a few options that would make the bill more palatable for society at large. If the goal is to wreck banks completely it belies the rationale used to push through the TARP bailout. The notion to make banks spin off units trading derivatives means issues of capital requirements and strains on liquidity. If these are weapons of mass destruction, does it make sense to deposit them in a bunch of smaller entities with no other sources of revenue and capital? Or, should they remain with larger entities that might be able to weather a severe hiccup? Then there are the legitimate hedging usages that promote the kind of risk-taking needed to move the economy.

Barney Frank may be seeing the light as he now thinks that making banks spin off units that trade derivatives "goes too far." I only wish he had gone a little further and nipped the so-called "Volker Rule" in the bud. Instead, it looks like some kind of grand compromise, the kind of deal that angers the Left and the Right. (Does anyone think Representative Frank would touch the favorite idea from the White House and economic legend? Yes, sure, I was hoping but wouldn't bet money on it occurring.) I think the only reason the derivates stuff is on the bill was to aid Blanche Lincoln in her tough reelection campaign, and as soon as the runoff vote is finished June 8, it will be junked. There has to be some fiscally responsible Democrats on Capitol Hill. There has to be some politicians watching the market and how the wheels have come off as this bill approaches law. There has to be some out there that must wonder why so much taxpayer money was used to save banks that are now being pushed back on the cusp of extinction.

Even if the word "extinction" feels hyperbolic, there is no doubt less capital would be available for Main Street, and that's the message Congress and the White House fail to understand or get, or simply just don't care about. The bill is expected to be signed into law between now and July 4, which means a dark cloud overhead for a long time. Yet, of all the things pressuring the market, it's unlikely others will be resolved this quickly. We had former UN Ambassador John Bolten on Varney & Co. this morning and he downplayed North Korea, but this time it's different. Sure, we've seen this movie and heard all the lines, but this time there is a sunken ship and more than 40 dead South Koreans. What is South Korea to do? If the answer is more isolation, then Kim Jong Il beat you to the punch as he cut off economic ties with the southern portion of the peninsula this morning.

It is time to move away from appeasement of North Korea and take a much firmer stance.

By the way, has another person told the governments in the United States and Europe that trying to eliminate too-big-fail is important? St. Louis Fed President James Bullard says he's "not particularly worried the global economic recovery will be undone because guarantees are in place to "guarantee" major financial institutions that are too-big-too fail." He is more concerned with inflation than deflation, which is a way of saying policies will be so successful that excessive enthusiasm could be a byproduct.

Enthusiasm

On the topic of enthusiasm, the latest reading on consumer confidence via the Conference Board was a major, positive surprise. The headline confidence reading came in at 63.3 versus the consensus of 59.0. As great as the report was vis-a-vis expectations, and the current trend, it's still worrisome from historic comparisons. Note: the reading is still in recession territory!

In the last recession, the low reading was 84.9 in November 2001 (the official end of the recession, which in my mind was called six months to a year too early). Today's headline news matches the dip in confidence as America entered the Gulf War, where the reading slipped to 61.4. Overall confidence is up three months in a row, and gaining momentum, but there are glaring issues. Expectations leaped to 85.3 from 77.4 (revised from 77.6), reflecting a sense things are going to get substantially better in the next six months. On the other hand, present conditions continue to limp along even as the reading crept to a 12-month high. People are mired in doubt about what's happening in the here and now.

JOBS_TABLE.jpg

CONSUMER_CONF.jpg

Case-Schiller

The 20-city index was mixed again, but on balance disappointing. The 2.3% year over year increase was the best 12-month gain since October 2006, but only seven cities saw home prices increase. In fact, home prices are down two months in a row even as Los Angeles, Phoenix, and Las Vegas appear to have finally hit a bottom.

CASE_SHILLER_CHART.jpg

MONTLY_PRICE_CHART.jpg

Remainder of the Session

Right now, it looks like a bottom has been put in for the session, but the last hour of trading has been a crap shoot...and it's usually snake eyes.

I think the market is oversold, and judging from some of the emails I've gotten, I know it's about time to load up. People that are panicking now have unrealistic expectations about investing in stocks. Selling stocks simply because they are lower is for day traders and people that haven't read an income statement or balance sheet. Of course, I understand the fear. After the last 20 years people have been burned, and there are times to take losses, but it's not predicated on being part of the thundering herd but has to be determined on a stock by stock basis. Overall, the question is will the market be higher or lower one month, three months, and six months from now. The legitimate response could be lower for all time periods, but I don't think so. I hope expectations come down as a result of this selloff. The economy will not be robust, although estimates were already absurdly low.

On a closing basis, 9,900 is a very important support point for the market, while the intraday low of 9,774 is now key support.

gipa69

collegio dei patafisici
[FONT=Garamond,Garamond][FONT=Garamond,Garamond]OECD raises 2010 GDP forecast for OECD area to +2.7% vs. previous +1.9% and +2.8% in 2011 vs. +2.5% [/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Courier New,Courier New][FONT=Courier New,Courier New]o Raises 2010 US GDP forecast to +3.2% vs previous +2.5%; 2011 to +3.2% vs previous +2.8% [/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New,Courier New]o Sees debt burdened economies underperforming emerging economies [/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New,Courier New][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Garamond,Garamond][FONT=Garamond,Garamond]Crude futures closest to delivery fell -13% in past 3-months while December 2015 contract -5% and December 2018 futures remain above $90/barrel as expectations of future demand remain strong [/FONT]
[FONT=Garamond,Garamond] Shippers higher on big gain in Baltic Dry Index; commodity producers benefited from higher resource prices. [/FONT]
[FONT=Garamond,Garamond] WSJ reports BAC, DB, and C have been shifting debt in advance of earnings reports, suggesting that they are failing to fully disclose risk.. [/FONT]
[FONT=Garamond,Garamond] Bloomberg reports increasing purchases of developing nation's debt by managers in flight to safety. [/FONT]
[FONT=Garamond,Garamond] Bernanke said Fed must be free from political pressure to enforce stronger regulations [/FONT]
[FONT=Garamond,Garamond] Banks with average rating equivalent to Moody’s A1, including GS and BNP, are yielding 253 bps higher than government debt vs. 268 bps for industrial companies rated five grades lower, a spread that was 177 bps wide at the beginning of the year. [/FONT]
[FONT=Garamond,Garamond] Short interest as of May 14[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Garamond,Garamond][FONT=Garamond,Garamond]th [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Garamond,Garamond][FONT=Garamond,Garamond]was announced after the close: [/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Courier New,Courier New][FONT=Courier New,Courier New]o [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Garamond,Garamond][FONT=Garamond,Garamond]Nasdaq: 2.34 days of average daily volume vs. 2.84 w/w [/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Courier New,Courier New][FONT=Courier New,Courier New]o [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Garamond,Garamond][FONT=Garamond,Garamond]NYSE: short interest increased to 13,893,726,160 shares from 13,834,228,633 shares on 30-Apr. [/FONT]
[FONT=Garamond,Garamond] Bullish sentiment decreases to 39.3% from 43.8% and Bearish sentiment increases to 29.2% from 24.7% in latest Investor's Intelligence poll [/FONT]
[FONT=Garamond,Garamond] ABC Consumer Confidence (45) in 23-May week vs (44) in prior week [/FONT]
[FONT=Garamond,Garamond] API reports crude inventories +646K vs. prior (794K) [/FONT]
[/FONT]

Users who are viewing this thread

Alto