S&P 500 Le news di oggi (2 lettori)

gipa69

collegio dei patafisici
CELEBRATING MEDIOCRITY
By Charles Payne, CEO & Principal Analyst

4/13/2010 1:34:06 PM Eastern Time

The disconnect between the stock market and Main Street has been underscored by all of the rosy articles in the press, including a glowing cover story in the current issue of Newsweek (which has become a direct PR vehicle for the White House). But we got another reminder this morning that America is not only hurting, but is moving in the wrong direction. Small businesses are hurting and taking it on the chin much the way the average person is hurting and taking it on the chin. Overnight, LVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton posted an 11% increase in sales driven by a "strong rebound" in Europe and the United States. The results were led by a 34% increase in watches and jewelry.

There is no way this reflects the nation. The stronger results from large businesses with global footprints and amazing power to cut salaries and pressure suppliers isn't a reflection of the state of most of the nation. Small businesses are the real backbone of this nation, the news from them this morning belies all of the rose-colored commentaries on newsstands. The headline optimism reading from NFIB was 86.8, missing consensus of 89, and under the pivotal 90 reading for the 18th consecutive month. Very few components were positive as nine out of ten declined or remained unchanged.

NFIB_CHART.png

The NFIB Report

TABLE.png

Additional Notes

* 11% of respondents see rising average selling prices
* 29% see a reduction in average selling prices
* -43% positive profit trends
* 15% loans are harder to get than last attempt
* 89% credit needs met or didn't want to borrow

gipa69

collegio dei patafisici
CAN INTEL LEAD THE WAY? (FINAL EDITION)
By Charles Payne, CEO & Principal Analyst

4/14/2010 9:49:57 AM Eastern Time

Of all the places I didn't think a piece in the New York Times would question some of the merriness going around. But, indeed, a piece by Andrew Ross Sorkin added some doubt, even if it was tongue and cheek. After echoing numbers on the bailout loss now seen at just $85.0 billion (yippee), and saying Citigroup (C) will make taxpayers money and even AIG could breakeven, he presented the other side of the story. The numbers from Treasury do not include Fannie Mae (FNM) and Freddie Mac (FRE) which the CBO says will amount to a $350.0 billion loss. Then there is the $1.0 trillion the Federal Reserve made available to Wall Street at almost zero percent interest.

The piece goes on to mention doomsayer Joseph Stiglitz, who called the news "disingenuous and a real attempt to distract people." I don't often agree with this Nobel Prize winning economist but I do this time. Pointing out the risk taken, it is silly to rejoice over only losing a few billion dollars here and a few there, it adds up to real money at some point, after all. The more I thought about it the more it seems like a person that for no real reason jumps out of a third floor window and breaks a couple of ribs and a collarbone. After heeling, the person would say the jump was good because there was no lasting harm done.

Of course in the case of all those government bailouts it was more akin to Washington tossing American taxpayers out of a window.

But, let's say the economic bounce gains traction, near-term it could happen. Then we have to begin to consider inflation, which I had put off as a 2011 phenomenon. If all of those printed dollars begin to flood the economy as more and more people buy into the hype, what had been a hibernating event could sprout wings sooner than expected. It's still early, but there have been signs including significant spikes in ISM data (manufacturing and services sectors). There has also been the move higher in energy prices, which seem under the radar even as gasoline prices have noticeably increased.

In its earnings release after the bell on Monday, Alcoa (AA) reported that it raised prices in the face of slack demand. One could argue higher commodities prices correlate with higher demand and actually support the notion of a stronger economy. But it must be pointed out that "stronger" isn't the same as "strong." If they can keep the markets moving higher on the hype that's okay with me...but beware.

Most people in New York don't drive on a daily basis so they may not feel a spike in gas prices but everyone, and I mean everyone, eats chicken. Of course gas prices will grab the attention of struggling Americans once the average price cracks $3.00...look and listen for the howls.

100414_1.png

100414_2.png

I'm not sure that Wall Street will become concerned about inflation until the needle moves on the CPI report but there has been pressure on producers, and if there is a general sense things are getting better it would provide cover for price hikes. I'm not saying sell everything, buy only gold and head for the hills but pay attention because the man on Main Street will know inflation is increasing too fast long before Wall Street figures it out.

Who Needs Card Check?

The White House shelved its card check dreams as it cobbles together (or is it clobbered together) votes for healthcare reform, but yesterday it made a huge leap in its goal of forcing all workers to join unions. On February 9, 2009 President Obama signed an Executive Order (http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/2009/pdf/E9-3113.pdf) for the use of Project Labor Agreements (PLAs). Yesterday this order became final rule. Essentially, it's a pre-hiring collective bargaining requirement for any government construction project valued at $25.0 million plus.

According to the National Right to Work Legal Foundation a "project labor agreement" is when the government awards contracts for public construction projects exclusively to unionized firms. Although the National Labor Relations Act says construction contractors and employees have the right to choose to unionize or not to unionize. To date, 80% of contractors and their employees have voluntarily opted against unionization. Now, if they want to be involved in big money government projects that right has been taken away. This is scary stuff.

The move underscores the power of executive orders to bypass existing laws and Congress.

In the meantime, Washington, DC based Associated Builders and Contractors (ABC) issued a statement yesterday calling this final rule "anti-competitive" and "special interest kickback schemes that end open, fair and competitive bidding on public projects." According to the ABC project labor agreements can drive up costs for public construction by nearly 20% and unfairly discriminates against the more than 85% of U.S. construction workforce that chooses not to join a union. The ABC stated what is painfully obvious, that this PLA is a handout to special interest groups and comes at the taxpayers' expense.

Considering unemployment is at 25% for construction workers this is a heck of time to discriminate...but then again is discrimination ever a good thing?

Speaking of Fair

This week's poll continues to touch nerves as the responses have been fantastic. Here is a couple I received yesterday.

"Charles,

From someone who's income has dropped precipitously in the last 2 years ($40K net for a family of 5), I shouldn't be able to vote on monetary issues (but I still vote against big spenders). We actually got a $2,100 tax return after paying about $300 in taxes. If we're not aberrational, I can't see how this can sustain our economy."

"Mr. Payne,

NO!

I have a brother-in-law out in California, wife and 3 kids. He is smart and could have gone somewhere in life, but instead he has spent the past 25 years sitting around drinking, smoking dope, waiting for someone to make him a CEO. My wife and I have gone back to school at our own cost, worked our tail ends off over the past 25 years."

There are many others posted on our website www.wstreet.com (all with permission) under "Voice of the People."

Earnings Update

Intel (INTC) chips were inside many high-end laptops that were lapped up by corporations. Consequently, the company posted earnings of $0.43 per share on $10.3 billion in revenue. Consensus was $0.38 per share on $9.8 billion in revenue. Management lifted gross margin guidance for the year to a range of 62% to 66% from 59% to 64%.

CSX Corp (CSX) reported earnings of $0.78 per share compared to the $0.69 per share forecast for the Street (and $0.70 for our forecast). Volume increased about 5% and finally begins to show a rebound in the economy. Interestingly enough, this is one of the first companies to announce they are hiring employees back; it is still targeted, but management indicated it expects hiring to increase significantly in the second half of the year.

Economic Data

Retail Sales

One area of keen interest in this morning's retail sales data is the -0.3% decline in gasoline station sales. The result is opposite to the sales benefits that wholesalers such as Costco (COST) and BJ's Wholesale (BJ), which operate gasoline stations at their clubs, have realized. Moreover, it conflicts with the general rise in gasoline prices across the U.S. What may be starting to happen is that in response to gasoline prices creeping closer to, or over, $3.00 a gallon for regular unleaded, consumers are starting to consolidate trips to discounters and malls. In breaking down the consumer base, you have the person that remained gainfully employed in 2009 and is now starting to feel a bit better about his or her finances. However, the psychological impacts of the recession are still present, and with gasoline prices rising once again the spike from summer 2008 and the influence on wallets is fresh on the mind. For the person still in search of work, say 15% of the population if you want to use the underemployment rate, wasteful trips to stores is not a fruitful undertaking. Overall, our sense is that trip consolidation benefits those retailers able to offer one-stop shopping (Target, Wal-Mart) and malls that have big box stores nearby or attached.

Broader thinking aside, the March sales data supports the thesis that the U.S. consumer is out of their bunker mentality. Whether households have stopped paying non-revolving debt to free up spending elsewhere, have returned to work for fulltime employment or temporary employment, or are feeling a little more confident in the value of their largest asset (home), somehow someway a new normal pace of spending is emerging. Credit is still tight, such as on equity lines, so the spending we are experiencing is being driven by savings built up in 2009 and cash from weekly paychecks that went into savings a year earlier given the many unknowns about the economy.

On the headline, March retail sales came in at +1.6% (consensus: +1.2%), with February revised to +0.5% from +0.3%. Motor vehicle sales incentives lured people back into to showrooms, and it was displayed in the 6.6% increase in sales for the category in March. Excluding auto sales, retail sales were +0.7% relative to February, which was also revised higher to +1.1% from +0.9%. The retail sales number we place great stock in is the ex. auto, building materials, and gasoline stations, which was positive for the second consecutive month at +0.5% (year earlier comparison favorable), following a +1.2% February print that resulted despite storm activity. We note that the overall report holds more weight relative to the chain-store sales reports issued last week, which benefited heavily from the Easter calendar shift.

Areas of Interest
* Furniture: +1.5% m/m; sales trends according to our industry contacts continue to pick up as prices remain enticing. First-time homebuyers have been a strong part of the increase in traffic.
* Grocery/other: sales were flat m/m yet sales at general merchandise stores increased 0.5%. May reflect discounters continuing to be aggressive on prices (see Wal-Mart rollbacks) and consumers responding accordingly.

100414_3.png

Consumer Price Index

This morning we heard from the Labor Department that consumer prices edged up 0.1%, while core CPI (which excludes food and energy costs) was flat. Through the past twelve months, inflation has increased at its slowest pace in more than six years. The 0.1% increase for the CPI was in line with the Street's expectations, while core CPI was expected to increase 0.1% as well. The index for food at home rose 0.5%, the largest increase since September 2008. This increase in food costs as well as the cost of energy (oil pushing to new highs), coupled with a drop in hourly earnings, does not bode well for Main Street. Food and energy are getting more expensive, but income continues to fall. Over the last 12-months, CPI has increased 2.3%, before seasonal adjustment. Excluding food and energy, the core has risen just 1.1% over that period, the smallest increase since January 2004.

100414_5.png

gipa69

collegio dei patafisici
PICKING APART THE MARKET
By WSS Research Team

4/14/2010 1:30:09 PM Eastern Time

By: Brian Sozzi, Research Analyst

I must admit that after a year of hearing the phrases "weak top line" and "challenged global end markets" in my meetings with leading CEOs, to now bear witness to indications of economic green shoots morphing into young flowers is tough to comprehend at first blush. Throughout 2009 it was pounded into the brains of investors and those on Main Street that the sky was falling on our economy and that business conditions were severely constrained, so excuse me if I still harness skepticism on our fruitful rebound. As Charles so eloquently put it earlier in the week, conditions on the ground should be even better; we should be clamoring for 1Q10 GDP growth above the 2.5% rate that I hear among industry contacts. After all, consumers are consuming frivolous goods once again and businesses are picking up fixed asset investment, resulting from the stimulus plan and easy money Fed policy. Professionally managed accounts, though worried about a correction in the markets, continue to put money to work in equities on the premise that the earnings recovery and potential for dividend increases and share buybacks will lend way to powerful total portfolio returns.

To commence earnings season, there has been very little indications to believe a sharp correction in the markets is looming around the bend. Aloca's (AA) revenue line did materially fall short of consensus, but management noted pricing power. Pricing power was absent in 2009. Intel (INTC) raised its gross margin outlook, which only happens if demand is outstripping supply thereby underpinning prices. JP Morgan (JPM) acknowledged a better trajectory for charge-off rates, something that is also unfolding at retailer Target (TGT). So although there are many concerns out there that could crystallize and derail this equities rally locomotive, visibility into second half earnings gleaned from the 1Q10 reports suggest the recovery investment thesis remains valid. Please take a moment to read the note I published on our website yesterday (www.wstreet.com) on investing in the Dow 30; I believe it's a great read following the strong earnings releases from Intel and JP Morgan.

I recommended to our subscriber base last week keep a dutiful eye on the data emerging from China this week, which crescendos with the GDP report later today. According to the National Bureau of Statistics, home prices in 70 Chinese cities surged 11.7% year over year. Nationwide, prices were up 14.2% for new homes. Some of the provinces in the south of China had home price gains in excess of 50.0%; yes you read that correctly.

What is driving this boom, and as I see it bubble, is an influx of rural Chinese to urban areas to find higher paying jobs. Fiscal stimulus efforts by the Chinese government helped to raise fixed asset investment as a percentage of GDP to 46.6% in 2009 from 43.5% in 2008; can't blame human beings for trying to improve their living standards. New data is likely to show a big increase in ROA (return on assets) for new manufacturing faculties in China (11.4% in 2008). Non-performing loans as a percentage of the total for Chinese banks is still low.

Nonetheless, this type of growth is absolutely unsustainable and believe it or not, the Obama Administration's push for a yuan revaluation may cause the eventual bursting (and potentially an increase in our borrowing costs). If the yuan were to regain its peg to the dollar, commodities are likely to become cheaper (check out the charts of gold and silver recently) to companies operating in the country, thereby creating a scenario where more buying is done to support more infrastructure. More workers will get hired. More migration then occurs. Still higher home values ensue. See where I am heading with this rant? At some point all of this new capacity will be excess capacity, resulting in lower ROA metrics for companies, less fixed investment, worker layoffs, and an increase in loan loss reserves by banks. Is this down the line, quite possibly?

Railroads are on the Tracks
By: David Silver, Research Analyst

The railroads are considered a bellwether for the economy as a whole, and if the headlines out of the Association of American Railroads (AAR) are any indication, the economy may finally be turning that corner. Here are the headlines from the past three weekly carload reports:

* March 25, 2010 - "Fourth Straight Week of Gains Reported on U.S. Freight Railroads
* April 1, 2010 - "AAR Reports Carloads at Highest Weekly Level Since November ‘08"
* April 8, 2010 - "AAR Reports Sharp Traffic Gains on U.S. Railroads for Most Recent Week"

This strength was reinforced yesterday after the closing bell when the first freight railroad CSX Corp. (CSX) released operational results for its first quarter of 2010. Volumes increased about 5% and pricing power returned. Automotive shipments increased almost 80% year over year, which shouldn't come as much of a surprise as Chrysler and General Motors were idling plants left and right to try to stave off bankruptcy and the "healthier" automakers such as Ford (F), Toyota (TM), and even Honda (HMC) were slashing production to meet the anemic levels of demand.

One of the most important commodities that the rails ship is coal, and while volumes were down almost 15% year over year, management expects there to be volume growth for 2010. Natural gas prices are extremely low so that could take some of the demand out of the market (as utility companies utilize natural gas in lieu of coal); however, demand from overseas, specifically China (as Brian mentioned above) and India remain extremely strong.

Perhaps the best tidbit we got from the company's conference call was the labor situation. Management indicated that in target areas it's hiring back many of the workers that were laid off over the past year, and some cases even hiring new workers to meet the jump in demand. There are other areas that have remained weak; however, the company expects hiring to increase as a whole for the entire year. So all of this talk about jobs (and the billions of dollars spent to make these) may finally be helping, but management alluded to the fact that it was normal private business action instead of the help of the government. Over the past three years, the rail industry has invested more than $40.0 billion into improving and expanding its infrastructure. Talk about shovel ready jobs.

Holes in the House?
By: David Urani, Research Analyst

There has been some poor housing data recently, and despite the bad news, housing stocks, like the rest of the market, have been fighting through it. Yesterday, Integrated Asset Services (IAS) issued its home price index. Although it doesn't carry the same weight as the Case Shiller index, it comes to us much earlier. The report for February was, once again, weak. Nationwide, prices fell by 0.6% in February according to the report, representing its lowest level since March 2004. Prices in the Midwest and the Northeast actually increased by 0.8% and 0.2%, respectively, while prices declined by 1.4% and 0.9% in the South and West, respectively. Once again, as we have been seeing in the Case Shiller reports lately, prices in California have actually been on the rise, presumably on bulk foreclosure sales. Meanwhile, the likes of Boston, Chicago, Miami, and Washington, D.C. remained in a downtrend. The IAS data is not adjusted like Case Shiller, so it takes into account more immediate price swings. Therefore, it may not be indicative of a trend. However, it's just one more clue that points to the possibility that we are in the middle of another housing dip.

That takes us to this morning's mortgage application report. Applications fell by 9.6% week to week. Purchase applications fell by 10.5% and refinancing fell by 9.0%. The drop is likely related to rising premiums on FHA insurance. The good news from the report is that 30-year mortgage rates actually decreased to 5.17% from 5.31% week to week, despite the Fed's recent withdrawal from mortgage security purchases. Nevertheless, applications have been in a fairly strong downtrend for approximately a month now and give us little optimism.

MORTGAGE_CHART.png

-In other housing news, WaMu execs were grilled today by the Senate during the first day of their "Wall Street and the financial Crisis" hearings. As you can probably infer from the title of the hearings, the Senate is out to get the fat cat lenders, and not without good reason. The Senate accused WaMu of creating a "mortgage time bomb" with subprime lending and with more wordiness and less directness, the WaMu guys essentially backed up those accusations. Not that we didn't know this already, but this hearing is likely the beginning of the assault on the lending industry and the lead-in to a newly reformed industry. In fact, the top story on WhiteHouse.gov today concerns a new plan for financial reform. By my observation, here's what I think we can expect from the mortgage side of financial reform:

* Consumer protection (a.k.a. regulated mortgage underwriting standards and "plain English mortgages")
* Limits on the pooling and trading of mortgage securities
* Requiring lenders have some of their own money invested into their own products

But most importantly.....

* Government takeover and reform of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac

Hydrocarbon Gushes
By: Conley Turner, Research Analyst

The price of crude is trading up today as the dollar index is on the decline versus a basket of other international currencies. Crude oil is denominated in dollars and becomes less expensive for foreign investors when the value of the greenback decreases. As a result, demand for oil increases resulting in the rise in its price.

This decline in the dollar today comes on the expectation of improved earnings results for the banking and technology industries. The upbeat expectations for earnings suggest that both the global and domestic economies are improving and will ultimately lead to more increased demand for oil. This sentiment was bolstered by the most recent U.S. statistics which pointed to a 1.6% rise in retail sales in the previous month. As such traders and investors are demonstrating a willingness to sell dollars and acquire riskier assets such as commodities.

In addition, the weekly crude inventory report by the U.S. Department of Energy indicated a 2.2 million barrel decline in crude oil inventories. This is in contrast to the market expectation for a 1.6 million barrel increase. The fact that crude supplies are actually lower than the prior week is acting as a supportive factor for oil prices. Many market participants have felt that the recent rise in oil prices was due largely to technical trading. This latest result suggests that supply/demand factors are beginning to gain traction and would make any rally from here more sustainable.

US_WEEKLY_CHART.png

The SOX have Come Off
By: Carlos Guillen, Research Analyst

Overall all tech shares have been performing well during this morning's trading session. The chip sector, as measured by the Philadelphia Semiconductor Index, has increased 12 units to 394, representing a 3% rise from Tuesday's closing price and reaching a new 12-month high. Some of the companies that are driving the index into the green are Intel, Linear Technology (LLTC), and Kulicke & Soffa (KLIC).

As we had expected, the improving economic backdrop around the world and strong demand for PCs led to a blowout quarter for Intel. First quarter revenue was simply phenomenal. Strong demand drove revenue to $10.3 billion, topping the Street's $9.8 billion estimate and management's $9.3 billion to $10.1 billion guidance range. Revenue was sequentially down 2.6%, but the seasonal pull down should have been about 8%, so the result defied seasonality. On a year over year basis revenue grew by 44.1%; however, this was mostly due to the fact that the year ago quarter revenue represented a trough that was affected by the macroeconomic slowdown. What is very encouraging is that the better than expected revenue was fueled by end-demand, and inventory replenishment only played a smaller role. In fact, channel inventories remained flat and are still lean. Intel's management team is bar none, and it continues to improve cost of goods sold and overall operating expenses, leading to a record high operating income.

Also contributing to the tech sector strength is news from Linear Technology as it reported financial results that blew past the Street's consensus estimates. The company posted earnings per share of $0.44 on revenue of $311.0 million, while the Street was only expecting earnings per share $0.39 on revenue of $279.0 million. Also encouraging was that the company expects to grow revenue sequentially in the June quarter by 7% to 10%, which is very impressive considering the already strong revenue level and the fact that the June quarter is a seasonally down quarter.

Shares of Kulicke & Soffa are up more than 19% as the company announced a top line guidance update that was significantly above the Street's consensus estimate. KLIC raised its revenue guidance to $205.0 million from its prior guidance range of $140.0 million to $150.0 million. The Street was expecting revenue of approximately $146.0 million, way under the new guidance level. Apparently, unprecedented demand for both ball bonders and wedge bonders have led to strong top line growth, and more encouraging is that management expects this trend to continue in the September quarter.

We believe that revenue growth will continue well into 2011 as the company ramps up sales of its heavy-wire wedge bonders (from its Orthodyne acquisition) and die bonders. Demand for power management component, which use heavy-wire wedge bonders, stand to boost revenues for KLIC as power efficiency becomes more and more critical. Longer term, the company also stands to benefit from a replacement cycle of its bonders, which is likely to begin in 2011.

All in all, it is becoming apparent that this earnings season is going to be much better than expected for the tech sector.

superbaffone

aggiornamento grafico

Allegati

• ScreenHunter_039.gif
    ScreenHunter_039.gif
    9,4 KB · Visite: 258

superbaffone

750 miliardi aiuteranno il testa spalle e forse un euro debole aiuterà l'europa

Allegati

• ScreenHunter_043.gif
    ScreenHunter_043.gif
    8,5 KB · Visite: 250

gipa69

collegio dei patafisici
750 miliardi aiuteranno il testa spalle e forse un euro debole aiuterà l'europa

La gara di svalutazione competitiva tra valute cartacee aldilà di essere positivo per l'oro sarà negativa per molte asset class perchè de facto le svaluterà.
Vi è poi la questione del mandato della BCE che è stato sicuramente bypassato in questa fase e la questione di un debito difficile da rimborsare visti i livelli raggiunti se non attraverso ipotesi deflattive che andrebbero quindi ad impedire comunque la salita dei prezzi delle merce ma che comunque svaluterebbero gli asset.

superbaffone

La gara di svalutazione competitiva tra valute cartacee aldilà di essere positivo per l'oro sarà negativa per molte asset class perchè de facto le svaluterà.
Vi è poi la questione del mandato della BCE che è stato sicuramente bypassato in questa fase e la questione di un debito difficile da rimborsare visti i livelli raggiunti se non attraverso ipotesi deflattive che andrebbero quindi ad impedire comunque la salita dei prezzi delle merce ma che comunque svaluterebbero gli asset.

la grecia tarocca i conti e viene salvata, le banche che avevano investimenti greci vengono salvate, mi pare che passi il messaggio "fate quello che vi pare tanto poi qualcuno mette una pezza"

Users who are viewing this thread

Alto