Stato
Chiusa ad ulteriori risposte.

negusneg

European Banks Need Bigger Writedowns on Greek Bonds, Standards Board Says

By Jim Brunsden - Aug 30, 2011 2:13 PM GMT+0200

Some European banks haven’t sufficiently written down the value of Greek government bondsand other “distressed sovereign debt” they own, the organization that sets accounting rules in the region said.
Banks and other financial institutions are valuing the bond holdings in a way that, in some cases, reflects internal models instead of market prices, the International Accounting Standards Board said in a letter published on its website today.
“It is hard to imagine that there are buyers willing to buy these bonds at the prices indicated,” the IASB said in the letter, dated Aug. 4 and sent to the European Securities and Markets Authority. “This is a matter of great concern to us.”
Governments and banks in the 27-nation European Union are negotiating the details of a second international rescue forGreece. On July 21, EU leaders agreed bondholders should contribute about 50 billion euros ($72 billion) to the package. The IASB didn’t name the banks which have incorrectly applied the rules in valuing their bond holdings.
“It is an area that quite clearly needs to be addressed, because historically there has been a perceived lack of consistency” in how the assets are valued, said Bob Penn, a financial regulation partner at law firm Allen & Overy LLP inLondon.
International accounting rules prioritize “the use of quoted prices in active markets over the use of valuation models developed using internal assumptions,” Hans Hoogervorst, the IASB’s chairman, said in the letter. These rules were being applied in a “visibly inconsistent way,” he said.

Relevant Data

“Although the level of trading activity in Greek government bonds has decreased, transactions are still taking place,” meaning market prices can be assessed, Hoogervorst said. “A company cannot ignore relevant market data.”
The Financial Times yesterday reported BNP Paribas (BNP) SA and CNP Assurances were among the institutions that had write downs of Greek government debt considered too small by the IASB.
“BNP Paribas has provisioned its exposure to Greece in full agreement with its auditors and relevant authorities”following the July 21 European Union aid plan for the country, according to a statement read by BNP Paribas spokeswoman Carine Lauru by phone.

21 Percent Loss

BNP Paribas, France’s largest bank, wrote down its Greek government-debt holdings by 534 million euros on Aug. 2, the same day it reported a 1.1 percent increase in second-quarter profit. The EU aid plan requires investors to take a 21 percent loss on holdings that mature by 2020.
CNP Assurances (CNP) made a provision in line with the July 21 EU plan and approved by its auditors, a spokeswoman said.
ESMA attaches “great importance to these issues,”Victoria Powell, a spokeswoman for the authority, said in an e-mailed statement. The authority is investigating “whether differences exist” between banks in the treatment of sovereign debt, she said.
“ESMA maintains a close and regular dialogue with the IASB and the general findings will be shared with them,” Powell said.
To contact the reporter on this story: Jim Brunsden in Brussels at [email protected]
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Anthony Aarons at [email protected]

fidw99

100% perpetual
European Banks Need Bigger Writedowns on Greek Bonds, Standards Board Says

By Jim Brunsden - Aug 30, 2011 2:13 PM GMT+0200

Some European banks haven’t sufficiently written down the value of Greek government bondsand other “distressed sovereign debt” they own, the organization that sets accounting rules in the region said.
Banks and other financial institutions are valuing the bond holdings in a way that, in some cases, reflects internal models instead of market prices, the International Accounting Standards Board said in a letter published on its website today.
“It is hard to imagine that there are buyers willing to buy these bonds at the prices indicated,” the IASB said in the letter, dated Aug. 4 and sent to the European Securities and Markets Authority. “This is a matter of great concern to us.”
Governments and banks in the 27-nation European Union are negotiating the details of a second international rescue forGreece. On July 21, EU leaders agreed bondholders should contribute about 50 billion euros ($72 billion) to the package. The IASB didn’t name the banks which have incorrectly applied the rules in valuing their bond holdings.
“It is an area that quite clearly needs to be addressed, because historically there has been a perceived lack of consistency” in how the assets are valued, said Bob Penn, a financial regulation partner at law firm Allen & Overy LLP inLondon.
International accounting rules prioritize “the use of quoted prices in active markets over the use of valuation models developed using internal assumptions,” Hans Hoogervorst, the IASB’s chairman, said in the letter. These rules were being applied in a “visibly inconsistent way,” he said.

Relevant Data

“Although the level of trading activity in Greek government bonds has decreased, transactions are still taking place,” meaning market prices can be assessed, Hoogervorst said. “A company cannot ignore relevant market data.”
The Financial Times yesterday reported BNP Paribas (BNP) SA and CNP Assurances were among the institutions that had write downs of Greek government debt considered too small by the IASB.
“BNP Paribas has provisioned its exposure to Greece in full agreement with its auditors and relevant authorities”following the July 21 European Union aid plan for the country, according to a statement read by BNP Paribas spokeswoman Carine Lauru by phone.

21 Percent Loss

BNP Paribas, France’s largest bank, wrote down its Greek government-debt holdings by 534 million euros on Aug. 2, the same day it reported a 1.1 percent increase in second-quarter profit. The EU aid plan requires investors to take a 21 percent loss on holdings that mature by 2020.
CNP Assurances (CNP) made a provision in line with the July 21 EU plan and approved by its auditors, a spokeswoman said.
ESMA attaches “great importance to these issues,”Victoria Powell, a spokeswoman for the authority, said in an e-mailed statement. The authority is investigating “whether differences exist” between banks in the treatment of sovereign debt, she said.
“ESMA maintains a close and regular dialogue with the IASB and the general findings will be shared with them,” Powell said.
To contact the reporter on this story: Jim Brunsden in Brussels at [email protected]
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Anthony Aarons at [email protected]

credo che tutte le banche che aderiranno allo swap abbiano svalutato i titoli del 21% (per i titoli con scadenze entro il 2020).
Forse l'IASB voleva che fossero valutati ai prezzi di mercato ?
Forse non sanno che le banche valutano i bond governativi ai prezzi di acquisto se intendono tenerli fino a scadenza ?
Poi altre banche se li svalutano fino al prezzo di mercato sono ancora più prudenziali, ma allora dovrebbero fare il mark to market di tutti i bond in portafoglio, allora si che avremmo bilanci a fisarmonica... da un trimestre all'altro milardi di euro che volano.

Questi commenti delle autorità fanno preoccupare per l'incapacità di analisi che hanno e soprattutto per la chiara motivazione che spingono i vari enti a spararla sempre più grossa: tutto per pararsi il c..o e dire che loro avevano avvisato i mercati della catastrofe imminente...
inoltre c'è poco da studiare e investigare con modelli evoluti, basta vedere lo stock con scadenza entro il 2020 e svalutarlo del 21%

Questa settimana abbiamo raggiunto il colmo...

Lagarde che spara a zero sulla capitalizzazione del sistema bancario, Trichet e Rehm che smentiscono.... :down:
Fmi che anticipa una mossa accomondante della BCE....:lol:
Il collaterale della Finlandia che sembra quasi una telenovela argentina...

Basta con le incapacità di politici, autorità di vigilanza !!

Lasciamo uscire la Grecia, ma facciamo anche uscire la Finlandia dal''euro :D

Scusate lo sfogo, ma questi stanno superando ogni limite di umana comprensione ;)

Ultima modifica:

Zorba

Bos 4 Mod
Mi domando cosa sconta il mercato (che per me ha ragione fino a prova del contrario) per prezzare BPVN 290 54 (in danaro ancora meno).

Discorso similiare per Groupama 414...(che costa meno delle IRS... )

Certe quotazioni sono tornate ai valori di agosto 2009. Il fatto che Bpvn e Groupa siano precipitate a 50 vuol solo dire che - se la crisi perdurasse - le altre le raggiungerrbbero. Come notavamo, le P scendono in ordine sparso.

E' vero che queste due forse sono un po' piu' debolucce rispetto ad altre, ma - come banca - io non vedo molte differenze tra una Mps e un BancoPop.

Le Irs hanno la fortuna di essere emesse da banche di stati considerati sicuri: gli olandesi sono banchieri doc e l'Austria e' la svizzera bis.

ferdo

Utente Senior
il mercato per me alle volte esagera.

in questo caso per me cmq sconta:

per bpvn la grande quanitá di crediti deteriorati che ha il banco popolare, che se l'italia torna in recessione, chiuderá bilanci in rossi a mio avviso. (dimenticavo poi dei 2 talloni di achille che sono efibanca e banca italease)

Bos, hai letto la semestrale?
Quanto male sta Italease?

nik.sala

Money Never Sleeps
eppure io lo dissi in tempi non sospetti : le banche greche son buone, occhio alle irlandesi e state a vedere che magari le greche ci fanno la sorpresona di continuare a pagare e magari picchiarci lì la call fra 6/7 anni...incredibile vero :-?:eek::lol:
Però 6/7 mesi l'ho sicuramente scritto.
Adesso ci sono più di una variabile che indica il pagamento dei coupon...:eek:
A me le banche greche (in primis alpha ed anche efg) mi son sempre piaciute.
Poi è andata a finire che sul rally delle p le greche me le son vendute, e mi son tenuto fino alla fine (prima dell'opa coercitiva) le anglo lt2 :wall::wall::wall:

Zorba

Bos 4 Mod
eppure io lo dissi in tempi non sospetti : le banche greche son buone, occhio alle irlandesi e state a vedere che magari le greche ci fanno la sorpresona di continuare a pagare e magari picchiarci lì la call fra 6/7 anni...incredibile vero :-?:eek::lol:
Poi è andata a finire che sul rally delle p le greche me le son vendute, e mi son tenuto fino alla fine (prima dell'opa coercitiva) le anglo lt2 :wall::wall::wall:
Le banche dell'europa meridionale, inclusa Francia, sono quelle che si sono comportate meglio con gli obbligazionisti subordinati. C'e' solo da sperare che non saltino i Paesi:titanic:

nik.sala

Money Never Sleeps
Le banche dell'europa meridionale, inclusa Francia, sono quelle che si sono comportate meglio con gli obbligazionisti subordinati. C'e' solo da sperare che non saltino i Paesi:titanic:
Già, logicamente se frana il castello, anche le torri non possono che venir giù...però, se consideriamo un eventuale haircut del 20% x istituzionali sul debito greco, le banche (NBOG, ALPHA, EFG) potrebbero sopravvivere :up:
p.s. benvenuto sulla 290 :up:
A questo punto, a situazione "normalizzata", la GROUP 414 e la BPVN 290 mi sembrano veramente, assieme alla BAWAG 897, le occasioni più ghiotte in questo momento, come price e CY, sul mercato.
Anche se le occasioni, x chi ha liquidità, fioccano...intesa 663 e 506, ucg 238 e 243, bpce 558 e 269, sg 619 e 064, axa 174, bnp 319, lodi 512, ubs 650 e 257, sns 523 e 155, le 3 rzb, ovag 643 e 288, munich 797, lloyds 311(13%), kbc 747 e 154, le 3 ing, groupama 414 e 464, generali, GE, fortis, eureko, erste 152 e 741, baca 4k8 e w70, elm 524, efg, alpha, dexia, deutsche bank, postbank, agricole, bawag, bpvn allianza.
E non le ho elencate tutte, c'è da sbizzarrirsi, ma veramente...:eek::eek::eek:
Non escludo un cip sulla EFG 345 a 30 :up:
mi mancano solo i liquidi :wall: piccolo missing understanding

capt.harlock

MENA IL CAMMELLO FAN CLUB

ciao nik, la storia nel mio ptf delle perp e non perp greche , non profuma di certo di gain
avevo preso circa a settembre 60k di 345 a 45, non le avevo vendute quando erano salite piu'o meno a 55/58 e avevo , per 50k, venduto alla pari sempre a 45 le 345 per le 399
in ptf adesso mi rimangono quindi le 399 a 45 (50%di loss) e 50k di 345 a 29
sui ggb 10% di loss:(

Stato
Chiusa ad ulteriori risposte.

Users who are viewing this thread

Alto